Learn everything about Chateau Rol Valentin St. Emilion, Bordeaux with wine tasting notes and wine with food pairing tips. Learn the best vintages, a history of the property, information on the vineyards and winemaking. If you want to read about other important, Bordeaux Chateaux: Links to all Bordeaux Wine Producer Profiles
Chateau Rol Valentin, History, Overview
Chateau Rol Valentin does not have a long history, In fact, it made its debut with the difficult 1994 vintage. Prior to that, the property was known as Clos Valentin. The founder of Rol Valentin was Eric Prissette, the former, European soccer star. That changed in time for the now legendary, 2009 Bordeaux vintage.
That was the year Chateau Rol Valentin took on a new owner, when it was sold to the daughter of Leclerc’s chief wine buyer, Jean-Luc Roche and her husband, Nicolas Robin, who is the nephew of the famous Robin sisters of the Right Bank. The Robin sisters previously owned Chateau Lafleur and Chateau Le Gay in Pomerol. The original and smaller vineyard was increased to its current size when the new owners took over.
Chateau Rol Valentin Vineyards, Terroir, Grapes, Winemaking
The 7.5 hectare vineyard of Chateau Rol Valentin is planted to 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc. As you read in the paragraph above, the terroir is sand, clay and limestone soils. The vines are planted to a density of 6,600 vines per hectare. Most of those vines are old, averaging close to 43 years of age. The vineyard is managed using self-sustaining farming techniques.
The vineyards of Chateau Rol Valentin are located in two separate areas in St. Emilion. About 40% of their vines are placed on sandy soils, north of La Gomerie on the way to Cheval Blanc. The remaining 60% of Chateau Rol Valentin’s vineyards are planted in the cooler, clay and limestone soils near Valandraud, Chateau Fleur Cardinale and Chateau Faugeres, located east, on the way to Cotes de Castillon in the commune of St. Etienne de Lisse.
A lot of effort goes into making Rol Valentin. After harvest and sorting, the whole berries are poured into 13, small, open top, Taransaud tanks of various sizes ranging from 10 hectoliters up to 30 hectoliters. These small vats allow for fermentation to take place on a parcel by parcel basis. The maceration runs about 30 days. Malolactic fermentation is conducted in 70% new French oak barrels.
Chateau Rol Valentin is a medium/full bodied, fresh, supple St. Emilion wine that was an early drinker, that did not develop much complexity with aging. Since the new owners took over, there is a better sensation of depth in the wine. 2010 looks to be the best vintage for Rol Valentin yet. The new owners are dedicated to improving the wines of Chateau Rol Valentin. At the moment, they also own Chateau de Laussac in the Cotes de Bordeaux appellation and Clos Vieux Taillefer in Pomerol.
When to Drink Chateau Rol Valentin, Anticipated Maturity, Decanting Time
Chateau Rol Valentin better with at least 3-6 years of aging in good vintages. Young vintages can be decanted for up to 1 hour, or a bit longer, helping the wine soften to help develop the aromatic character. Older vintages might need very little decanting, just enough to remove the sediment. Chateau Rol Valentin offers its best drinking and should reach peak maturity between 4-18 years of age after the vintage.
Serving Chateau Rol Valentin with Wine, Food and Pairing Tips
Chateau Rol Valentin is best served at 15.5 degrees Celsius, 60 degrees Fahrenheit. The cool, almost cellar temperature gives the wine more freshness and lift. Chateau Rol Valentin is best served with all types of classic meat dishes, veal, pork, beef, lamb, duck, game, roast chicken, roasted, braised and grilled dishes. Chateau Rol Valentin is a perfect match with Asian dishes, hearty fish courses like tuna, mushrooms and pasta as well as cheese.
Château Rol Valentin Wine Tasting Notes
14 Vintages 55680 Views Sort by Vintage-Rating
|2016||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
With floral, fresh cherry and red and black plums, this is soft, silky and inviting. Medium bodied and polished, this is a charmer.
Apr 29, 2017points - Tasted 1522 Views
|2015||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Elegant, fresh, soft and sweet with a medium-bodied, raspberry and cherry-tinged profile that should drink great on release
Apr 29, 2016points - Tasted 1681 Views
|2014||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
With floral, cherry and plum scents in the nose, this medium-bodied, velvety textured wine delivers licorice and sweet, cherries in an open finish. 89-90
Apr 27, 2015points - Tasted 2035 Views
|2013||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
With spicy plums, fennel and a light mocha and red berry finish, this should be ready to drink on release. 87-89 Pts
Apr 29, 2014points - Tasted 2238 Views
|2012||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Medium-bodied with refined character, licorice, coffee bean and blackberries, the wine is soft, but a bit light in the finish. 89-91 Pts
Apr 26, 2013points - Tasted 3563 Views
|2011||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Deep ruby in color, with truffle, licorice, dark cherry, spice and coffee scents, this medium bodied, charming St. Emilion offers a finish filled with bright, fresh, black raspberries and vanilla. 88-90 Pts
Mar 16, 2012points - Tasted 3060 Views
|2010||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Better out of bottle than barrel, the wine offers fresh, ripe, black raspberries, licorice, earth, spice and black cherry jam notes. Silky, soft and round, this medium/full bodied ripe will drink great with just a few years of age.
May 8, 2013points - Tasted 3787 Views
Coffee, truffle, cassis, plums and licorice scents fill your glass. Silky in texture and more concentrated than the 2009, the wine ends with floral, plum and fennel flavors. Thanks to investments from the new owners and the efforts of their consultant, Stephane Derenoncourt, this Bordeaux wine from St. Emilion is becoming a property to watch. 91-93 Pts
Mar 14, 2011points - Tasted 4061 Views
|2009||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
This is such a luscious, forward wine, it's fun to drink today. Decanted, 90 minutes prior to dinner, the wine is dark ruby in color. The nose serves up espresso, smoke, spice, thyme and black cherry liqueur aromas. Medium/full bodied, soft and polished, the silky, dark red berries and spice notes in the finish hit the spot. The wine was made from a blend of 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc.
Aug 4, 2016points - Tasted 2224 Views
Forward in style and filling out nicely, this is developing better than anticipated. After a few years in the bottle, it seems richer, with more lush qualities in the plush finish. This wine is already fun to drink.
May 19, 2013points - Tasted 4165 Views
2009 Rol Valentin. The property has new owners related to the Robin family, previous owners of the famed Chateau Lafleur in Pomerol. The fruit is sourced from two separate vineyards: 60% of the crop comes from vineyards located in the eastern sector of St. Emilion, not far from Valandraud, on clay and limestone soils, while the remaining 40% emanates from property with sandy soils located close to Gomerie. The wine opens with stone, floral, black cherry and plum aromatics. Soft and velvety textured, this elegant wine should drink well after a few years of bottle age. I’ve always liked the style of this wine, but the lack of the wine’s ability to age has put me off from buying it. The 2009 is the best vintage I’ve tasted from this chateau. I hope the quality and style of this vintage will allow it to age better than those of previous years. 90-92 Pts
Aug 29, 2010points - Tasted 5415 Views
|2008||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Light ruby in color, the nose is filled with smoke, cherry and coffee scents. Medium bodied, this elegant wine finishes with light, soft cherry sensations.
Mar 11, 2011points - Tasted 4269 Views
08 Château Rol Valentin, from former soccer star Eric Pressete, begins with an oak, plumy, black and red fruit perfume. Medium bodied and elegant, this is a quality wine for early drinking. 89-91 Pts
Jul 1, 2009points - Tasted 3643 Views
|2005||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Medium bodied, displaying spicy dark red fruits, herbs and fennel. Air and swirling added to the complexity of the aromatics and helped flesh out the delicate, red berry personality.
Mar 12, 2012points - Tasted 4370 Views
|2001||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Fully mature, this is elegant, silky, medium bodied and quite easy to drink. The secondary, truffle, smoke, licorice, tobacco and fresh, earthy, red fruits are at peak, or just slightly past its high point today.
Jan 8, 2018points - Tasted 577 Views
|2000||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
This soft, light, sleek, red and black fruit filled wine is easy to drink. Eric Prisette, the European Soccer star and former owner recently sold the property to the Robin family who are related to the previous owners of Lafleur. This is a property to watch.
Mar 5, 2010points - Tasted 3122 Views
|1998||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Medium bodied with notes of ripe black fruits accented with hints of raspberry aromatucs. Produced in a crowd pleasing style, this is a wine I prefer drinking in its youth to capture the freshness. I would not hold this wine more than a few years
Oct 14, 2008points - Tasted 2641 Views
|1995||Château Rol Valentin (St. Émilion Grand Cru)|
Slightly past fully mature, this medium bodied, earthy, spicy, kirsch oriented wine is soft in texture and has a nice, round, cherry finish. Drink up.
Jun 4, 2012points - Tasted 3307 Views