Archive for the ‘2011 Bordeaux Harvest Reports, News, Interviews and Photographs’ Category
“We collect the bunches in small crates. Then we make a very strong selection on our manual sorting tables. The berries are placed directly in barrels for the first fermentation. The entire winemaking process takes placed in the barrel”.
We are interested in optical sorting. We already use a mechanical sorting table with density selection at our estates in Bordeaux Superieur and in Cotes de Castillon. But at Château La Couspaude in St. Emilion, we use the traditional sorting table
The advantage we have is that our plots are on very good land, “the plateau” of Pomerol, with deep clay soil which allows us to control the vine, water, and support the warm, dry years like 2011.
We will produce a powerful, colorful wine due to the low ratio between the juice and skins. The tannins are aproachable and elegant. The complexity of the structure will probably not be at the same level as the 2009 and 2010.
“I am reducing the percentage of new oak to 80%. The other 20% will be aged in “cement eggs”. The idea is to make sure we keep all the minerality coming from our limestone terroir”.
“2011 is an extraordinary year. We are witnessing a heretofore unimaginable development. The alcohol content in the Cabernet Sauvignon is vastly higher than that of the Merlot!”
“2011 is a Bordeaux wine makers vintage. More than ever, this year will reflect each winegrower’s keen perception and responsiveness”.
“There were storms in early September. But the rain and hail were localized. On the whole it was a dry summer. Rumors of a “difficult” season were exaggerated”.
2011 was a really strange growing season. We had very little rain and hot temperatures in April, May and June. Fortunately, enough rain fell during the véraison.
We experienced summer in the spring and spring during the summer. Early fall was reminiscent of a sub-tropical climate. This weather created great challenges to keep the vines healthy and nutritionally balanced.