La Ferme du Mont Chateauneuf du Pape Rhone Wine, Complete Guide

La Ferme du Mont

Learn everything about La Ferme du Mont Chateauneuf du Pape with wine tasting notes, wine and food pairings, best vintages, a history of the property, information on the vineyards, and winemaking. If you want to read about other important wineries and winemakers from the Rhone valley: Links to all Rhone Valley Wine Producer Profiles

La Ferme du Mont History, Overview

La Ferme du Mont was founded quite recently by Stephane Vedeau. At first, they began operation in Courthezon, before shifting their headquarters to Valres in 2010. The change coincided with the purchase of Clos Petit Bellane from Olivier Peuchot.

The initial vintages, 2005 and 2006 were produced in a partnership with Coralie Gourmarre of Domaine Galevan. From that point forward, Stephane Vedeau began producing the wines of La Ferme du Mont on his own. La Ferme du Mont is a negociant company that owns some vines in the region. They also rent vineyards and purchases grapes from growers in the Chateauneuf du Pape appellation as well.

La Ferme du Mont produces, bottles, and sells red and white wine from other Southern Rhone appellations including the Cotes du Rhone and Cotes du Rhone Villages, Gigondas, and Vacqueyras.

La Ferme du Mont Vineyards, Wines, Winemaking

La Ferme du Mont

The vineyards used for the grapes placed into the wines since 2011 are being farmed using 100% Biodynamic farming techniques Prior to that, they were farmed using self-sustaining farming practices, with the use of any pesticides or chemicals. In 2014, they earned the certification of Agriculture Biologique.

La Ferme du Mont produces 2 red Chateauneuf du Pape wines and 1 white Chateauneuf du Pape wine.

La Ferme du Mont Cotes Capelan is their flagship wine and the top wine in their portfolio. The wine is produced by blending 80% Grenache from old vines that range in age from 75 to 100 years of age, 10% Syrah, and 10% Mourvedre. Vinification takes place in concrete tanks.

Malolactic fermentation takes place in vat. 90% of the wine is aged in traditional, concrete vats, while the remaining 10% is aged in French oak barrels for about 18 months before bottling. The French oak barrels are divided so that on average, 60% of those barrels are used and 40% are new French oak barrels.

La Ferme du Mont Vendanges d’Octobre is made from a blend of 80% old vine Grenache with a range of 10%-20% Mourvedre and 10-20% Syrah, depending on the vintage. The wine is aged in a combination of vessels with about 80% of the wine being aged in concrete vats and the remaining 20% of the wine being aged in French oak barrels and foudres.

La Ferme du Mont Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc Vendange is made from a blend of 70% Grenache Blanc, 20% Clairette and 10% Roussanne. The wine is aged in French oak barrels.

Domaine Galevan La Ferme du Mont Cotes Capelan and La Ferme du Mont Chateauneuf du Pape are no longer being made.

When to Drink La Ferme du Mont, Anticipated Maturity, Decanting Time

La Ferme du Mont can be enjoyed on the young side. Young vintages can be popped and poured, or decanted for about 1 hour, give or take. This allows the wine to soften and open its perfume. Older vintages might need very little decanting, just enough to remove the sediment.

La Ferme du Monts is better with 3-4 years of bottle age. Of course, that can vary slightly, depending on the vintage. In the best vintages, the wine should be consumed within 4-15 years after the vintage.

Serving and Decanting La Ferme du Mont with Wine, Food Pairing Tips

La Ferme du Mont is best served at 15.5 degrees Celsius, 60 degrees Fahrenheit. The cool, almost cellar temperature gives the wine more freshness and lift.

La Ferme du Mont is best served with all types of classic meat dishes, veal, pork, beef, lamb, duck, game, roast chicken, roasted, braised, stewed dishes, sausage, barbecue, and cassoulet. La Ferme du Mont is also good with Asian dishes, hearty fish courses like tuna, mushrooms pasta, eggplant, tomatoes, and cheese.

The white wine of La Ferme du Mont is best served with a myriad of different seafood dishes, shellfish, crab, lobster, sushi, sashimi, chicken, pork, and veal, as well as Asian cuisine.

www.lafermedumont.com

La Ferme du Mont Wine Tasting Notes

8 Vintages 16,536 Views Sort by Vintage-Rating

2019 La Ferme du Mont Côtes Capelan  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 95
Deeply colored, the wine explodes with black raspberry, fresh herbs, iron, dark cherries and strawberry jam. Rich, concentrated, long, powerful and yet balanced, fresh and character driven, give this gem a few years in the cellar and it is going to be off the hook! Drink from 2025 - 2038

Deeply colored, the wine explodes with black raspberry, fresh herbs, iron, dark cherries and strawberry jam. Rich, concentrated, long, powerful and yet balanced, fresh and character driven, give this gem a few years in the cellar and it is going to be off the hook! Drink from 2025 - 2038

1,638 Views   Tasted
2019 La Ferme du Mont Vendanges d'Octobre  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 92
Spicy, dark red berries, with green leaf, herbs and smoked black pepper are what you find in the nose. The wine is medium bodied, earthy, fresh, bright and crisp, with a peppery, kirsch filled finish. You can enjoy this with just a year or two, or three, of age. The wine is made from blending 80% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre and 10% Syrah. Drink from 2022 - 2034

Spicy, dark red berries, with green leaf, herbs and smoked black pepper are what you find in the nose. The wine is medium bodied, earthy, fresh, bright and crisp, with a peppery, kirsch filled finish. You can enjoy this with just a year or two, or three, of age. The wine is made from blending 80% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre and 10% Syrah. Drink from 2022 - 2034

2,087 Views   Tasted
2018 La Ferme du Mont Côtes Capelan  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 95
Full-bodied, lush, round and with a good depth of flavor, the wine is packed with sweet, ripe, dark cherries, plums and black raspberries, licorice, herbs, spice and pepper. Round, opulent and rich and loads of sweet fruit from start to finish is found here. This is one of the top wines this year.

Full-bodied, lush, round and with a good depth of flavor, the wine is packed with sweet, ripe, dark cherries, plums and black raspberries, licorice, herbs, spice and pepper. Round, opulent and rich and loads of sweet fruit from start to finish is found here. This is one of the top wines this year.

1,681 Views   Tasted
2018 La Ferme du Mont Vendanges d'Octobre  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 91
Medium bodied, bright and fresh with crisp, fresh red berries, herbs, olive and spice on the nose and palate. You can enjoy this just about on release.

Medium bodied, bright and fresh with crisp, fresh red berries, herbs, olive and spice on the nose and palate. You can enjoy this just about on release.

1,090 Views   Tasted
2014 La Ferme du Mont Côtes Capelan  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 92
Luscious, ripe, peppery, red fruits, smoke, thyme and herbs are ready from the first sniff and sip. Medium bodied, fresh and fruity, this is good now, and should be even better with a few more years of bottle age.

Luscious, ripe, peppery, red fruits, smoke, thyme and herbs are ready from the first sniff and sip. Medium bodied, fresh and fruity, this is good now, and should be even better with a few more years of bottle age.

1,845 Views   Tasted
2012 La Ferme du Mont Côtes Capelan  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 92
Nice style of wine that is already drinking well and can age a bit. Loads of sweet, fresh, juicy kirsch, raspberries, thyme, smoke, coffee and earthy aromatics, with fat, round textures, good concentration of flavor and a sweet, spicy, ripe, red berry finish. The wine was made from a blend of 90% Grenache and Mourvedre.

Nice style of wine that is already drinking well and can age a bit. Loads of sweet, fresh, juicy kirsch, raspberries, thyme, smoke, coffee and earthy aromatics, with fat, round textures, good concentration of flavor and a sweet, spicy, ripe, red berry finish. The wine was made from a blend of 90% Grenache and Mourvedre.

2,038 Views   Tasted
2010 La Ferme du Mont Côtes Capelan  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 97
WOW! My first time tasting a wine from this producer, and it's a stunner. Inky in color, with massive blast of black licorice, black raspberries, cherry liqueur, spice, earth, jam and fresh black pepper. This is no shy wallflower of a wine. It's powerful, concentrated, mouth coating and intense. The finish just keeps on going. There is so much fruit, you lose track of how long this wine really is.

WOW! My first time tasting a wine from this producer, and it's a stunner. Inky in color, with massive blast of black licorice, black raspberries, cherry liqueur, spice, earth, jam and fresh black pepper. This is no shy wallflower of a wine. It's powerful, concentrated, mouth coating and intense. The finish just keeps on going. There is so much fruit, you lose track of how long this wine really is.

4,834 Views   Tasted
2009 La Ferme du Mont Vendanges d'Octobre  (Châteauneuf-du-Pape) 89
Medium bodied, soft, elegantly styled and focused on its bright red fruits, garrigue and earthy tones. This is ready to drink.

Medium bodied, soft, elegantly styled and focused on its bright red fruits, garrigue and earthy tones. This is ready to drink.

1,323 Views   Tasted