RSS Pin it

Chateau Fortia Chateauneuf du Pape Rhone Wine

pin it button Chateau Fortia Chateauneuf du Pape Rhone Wine

chateauneuf du pape Chateau Fortia Chateauneuf du Pape Rhone Wine

Chateau Fortia Chateauneuf du Pape, Rhone wine producer profile with wine tasting notes, wine ratings, a history of the property, information on wine making and terroir, along with wine tasting reviews and images. If you want to read about other important wineries and wine makers from the Rhone valley: Links to all Rhone Valley Wine Producer Profiles

Chateau Fortia is one of the older estates in Chateauneuf du Pape. In fact Chateau Fortia can date itself all the way back to its humble beginnings as a farm in 1763. The property takes its name from the founder of the estate, the Marquis de Fortia. However, it took almost 150 years for the name of the property to recognize its creator. What we know of today as Chateau Fortia was a working winery starting in at least the early 1800′s. During those days, Chateau Fortia increased its size with additional purchases. The beautiful estate continued to expand over the years. The first label displaying the Chateau Fortia name was produced in 1930. Today Chateau Fortia is owned and managed by the Le Roy family who have been in charge of the property since the early part of the 20th century.

Located not far from the Chateauneuf du Pape village the 30 hecatre vineyard is planted to grapes to produce both red and white wine. 2.5 hectares are devoted for white Chateauneuf du Pape, while the remaining 27.5 hectares are used for the production of red wine.

Chateau Fortia produces 3 red wines and one Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc.

Chateau Fortia Tradition is a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah. The wine is aged for an average of 16 months in old foudres. Production is close to 3,500 cases per vintage.

Chateau Fortia La Cuvee du Baron made its debut in 2001. The wine is blend of 50% Grenache, 45% Syrah and 5% Mourvedre. The wine is aged for an average of 16 months in old foudres. On average, close to 4,000 cases are produced each year.

Chateau Fortia Cuvee Reserve was produced for the first time with the 2006 vintage. The grapes used for the wine are from the estates oldest vines. The wine is produced from one of the highest portions of Syrah used in Chateauneuf du Pape at 85%. The remainder of the blend of 15% Grenache. The wine is aged in foudres. Not much of this wine is produced. Production hovers at close to 350 cases per year.

Chateau Fortia Blanc is a blend of 60% Clairette, 30% Roussanne and 10% Grenache Blanc. The production is close to 900 cases per year.


Wine Tasting Notes

Displaying 4 vintages | 7947 Views Sorted by vintage

  1. 2010 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron

    1. From a blend of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre, this is one of the heaviest concentrations of Syrah in Chateauneuf du Pape. This concentrated wine offers sauvage aromas, soil, barnyard, plum and earth along with meat or beef blood. This traditionally styled wine ends with a long finish.

      90 points - Tasted
    Average Selling Price:  • Find this wine to buy on Wine-Searcher
  2. 2010 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape

    1. Strong barnyard aromas that reminded me more of Mr. Ed's stable than wine, it took a while to move past the animal scents to find black cherries and earth. The wine has depth, and some people are going to like it a lot more than I did, but the only way this was going to rock my boat, was if I was going to sea in an Ark. It's a shame because Fortia was one of the better Chateauneuf du Pape wines during the 1970's.

      85 points - Tasted
    Average Selling Price:  • Find this wine to buy on Wine-Searcher
  3. 2003 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron

    1. Fully mature, this rich, full bodied, concentrated Chateauneuf du Pape is filled with ripe, jammy cherries and fresh, strawberries. Lush, and lusty, 2003 Fortia is drinking in its sweet spot today.

      92 points - Tasted
    Average Selling Price:  • Find this wine to buy on Wine-Searcher
  4. 1970 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape

    1. 1970 Forita was old, tired and running out of steam. Perhaps other bottles are better. Being my last bottle, I was happy to have shared it with my friends. I've had better bottles. But if this bottle was correct, it's not a wine I would buy in today's marketplace.

      85 points - Tasted
    2. Murky, ruby in color. Jammy, wild strawberry with cherries, beef blood and leafy aromatics started off the perfume. Not many Chateauneuf du Papes will be better at twenty than they were at ten, but at 40, the 1970 Fortia throws out all the rules. In the mouth, thick layers of red and black peppery, ripe fruit and plums with a minor hint of sweet and sour fill your palate with flavor. I doubt this will improve, but who cares at this stage of the game?

      92 points - Tasted
    Average Selling Price:  • Find this wine to buy on Wine-Searcher