Bordeaux wines with lunch

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Bordeaux wines with lunch

Post by Blake Brown » Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Our lunch group had an atypically small attendance, but a typically large selection of fine wines. Our theme on this day was wines from Bordeaux from 2005 or older.

Six of us dined at our designated and dedicated venue, The Santa Barbara Club and were treated to our usual fine service and superb food prepared graciously by Chef Humberto.

The menu:

First Course
Sunchoke Bisque

Second Course
Rack of Lamb with rosemary, cheese tamale and house made mole

Third Course
Duck confit with foie gras waffle and mushroom truffle sauce

Cheese Course
San Andres

Dessert
Chocolate mousse

The wines:

NV FALLET-DART BRUT ROSE- as expected from past indulgences, this nice rose had rich, tangy fresh red fruit flavours with a mouthful of red cherries most prominent; it was palate pleasing, refreshing and enjoyable.

2006 CHATEAU SUDUIRAUT S` de SUDUIRAUT BORDEAUX BLANC SEC- served blind, this had an interesting profile that turned out to be a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semilion made in an oxidative style which translated into nutty, butterscotch, peach, caramel and toffee delivered in a creamy, viscous texture.

1990 CHATEAU TROPOLONG-MONDOT SAINT-EMILION- a fabulous wine from the nose through the tail; it had a deep, dark rich purple colour; in the nose and taste I got distinct plum, black currant and black cherry fruit along with liquorice, cedar and sandalwood.

2001 CHATEAU AUSONE SAINT-EMILION— in a word, awesome; this beautifully balanced wine promised good things just noticing its youthful and vibrant dark purple colour; the aromatics confirmed such and the taste took it a notch further; in the nose, I perceived pine, eucalyptus and slightly sweetened dark fruit which as packaged was so inviting; moving on, there was more of the same enhanced by its smooth and velvety texture which carried all of the treasures to the back end; I`m thinking WOTD at this point; decanted 3+ hours prior to serving.

2000 CHATEAU COS d`ESTOURNEL SAINT-ESTEPHE- not decanted; it took a while for this bottle to open up and when it did, it gave up some nice treats; this is still very young and many years short of being fully mature; the initial earthy, mocha accented black currant moved out of the way and allowed for liquorice, smoke and cedar laced plum and blackberry to come in; it was full bodied, had plenty of depth and complexity and a long finish; nice Cos.

2000 PONTET CANET PAUILLAC- the colour was a dark, deep purple; the nose had mild, but enticing aromas followed by wild black and red fruit with some cedar, dried blackberry and plum notes; it was medium bodied at best, had a soft texture and nice, sustained, crescendoing finish; flash decanted.

2000 CHATEAU LASCOMBES MARGAUX- 2- 375 ml.; many years ago, I joined my buddy, the late Frank Crandall of the local Renegade Wines in trying to select good, but reasonable Bordeaux futures; after comparing barrel samples, we concluded this may have a good chance to perform and I opted for a case of 375 mls, 24 bottles; I`ve not opened any to date and thought this might be the perfect time to do so; both bottles were inundated with 4-ethylphenol, the barnyard expression of Brettanomyces; anyone want 22 375s ?

2000 CHATEAU LASCOMBES MARGAUX- fortunately, in this case, a friend brought a 750 of the same wine and it was really good as expected, in fact, Parker and others considered this to be a break though wine for the Chateau followed up by many other fine vintages; this bottle was hallmarked by its beautiful balance, great mouthfeel and wonderful taste profile; I got a bit of toasty, earthy and liquorice accented black currant, black cherry and blackberry fruit; for most vintages, the composition of the Grand vin is 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot.

2001 CHATEAU DOISY-VEDRINE SAUTERNES- 375 ml; yellow gold colour; spicy, honeyed lemon, orange and pineapple flavours were delivered in an almost honey like texture.

2007 CHATEAU DOISY-VEDRINE SAUTERNES- 375 ml; yellow gold with a green rim; some of that green colour was also evident in the taste along with honeyed citrus and stone fruit served up in a syrupy, thick substance; this needs time to evolve.

Eleven wines, 6 people. I like the ratio.

Cheers,
Blake