What are your favorite Languedoc wines ?

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
cosmin grozea
New Member 50 Pts

What are your favorite Languedoc wines ?

Post by cosmin grozea » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 am

I tried many wines from Languedoc over the last couple of years and found stunning quality for really good prices. My all time favorites so far:

Chateau de la Negly La porte du ciel - great low yielded Syrah

La Peira with the middle wine Las Flors and also their top cuvee La peira - very low yields of 1.4 t/ha for Las Flors and only 0.750 t/ha for the top cuvee

Grange des peres - very interesting blend

Chateau Puech Haut Tete de belier both rouge and blanc

Chateau de Cazeneuve - small but great producer in Pic St Loup

What is your favorite wine ?

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 am

I love Le Soula Blanc although I realise that is in the Roussillon. Many good and excellent QPR wines made in the region. Like a relative newcomer Domaine Treloar too.

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Peyre Rose springs to mind, if that is a Languedoc.... Daumas Gassac, but needs 20 years in the cellar, 90 is getting nice now, Dom Trevaillon and Pibarnon, but Pibarnon is a Bandol come to think of it, Trevaillon? Baron 'Arques is not too bad either.....

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Trevallon is Provence. Visited the cellar last year---great experience with the owner/winemaker such a humble guy. Love the wine but it needs many years to be at its best.

laurent gibet
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by laurent gibet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:43 am

Two wines at the top :
Grange des Pères (an excellent thin 1998 recently).
Peyre-Rose (some link with Bonneau in Châteauneuf).

Daumas-Gassac red ages well (the 1998 today, may be a good surprise).
I once had a very interesting Côtes du Roussillon Clos des fées VV 1998 (tasted like a wonderful châteauneuf).

I must check Montcalmès, again.

Some doubts about Négly Porte du Ciel and even more about Clos des Truffiers (heaviness ... and I like elegance).

cosmin grozea
New Member 50 Pts

Post by cosmin grozea » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:00 am

Laurent,

I know the wines of Clos des Fees and there is quality no doubt, however they are usually very high in alcohol (14.7-15% alc is the norm) even for the white one. I like their white VV more than their red VV.
Negly and Clos des Truffiers are concentrated and might appear heavy, but nevertheless they are really interesting wines. There is of course a matter of personal taste.

Peyre Rose is also a great producer making well-balanced wines. Try to find La Peira, they started making wine recently and their first released vintage was 2004. They work with tiny yields also, even lower than Negly I think.

More producers in Languedoc are focused on making high quality wines now a days and this is really encouraging.