My visit to Bern's Steak House in Tampa with wines with an average of 99 years of age

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Francois Audouze
Contributor 85 Pts

My visit to Bern's Steak House in Tampa with wines with an average of 99 years of age

Post by Francois Audouze » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:18 am

For many years I had the dream to go to this place which had a cellar of over one million bottles, and has now more than half a million bottles.
As my son lives now in Miami, I had no excuse not to go. I went with my son.
Brad Dixon, the sommelier spent a very long time with us to choose our wines. It happened so : we arrived at 5 pm, thinking that the place would be empty, in order to choose the wines of the dinner largely in advance. But the place was really full, many people taking their dinner at that time. Brad came with his wine list and we chose on the list a few possible bottles.
Brad said : go quietly to your hotel, and when you come back, I will let you choose among a selection made in the direction of what you indicated.
We came back at 7 pm for a table booked for 7:30, and I wanted so much to open the bottles before the dinner !
Brad had prepared around 15 wines that I examined very precisely. I did not take the most prestigious, but I took the nicest colors, and wines which would surprise me. As I have very old Lafite in my cellar, no need to take one.
I selected six wines, and I said that I would take three after a final examination, as the light in the cellar was not excellent.
In the dining room, I selected three wines. Then Brad began to open the first bottle. As he destroyed the cork with inappropriate tools, and as I am a badly educated person, I took things in hands and I finished to open the bottle, and I opened the two other bottles. No single piece of cork fell in the wines.
Very intelligently, Brad accepted that I open the wines. He could have told me : "I know how to proceed", but as we had created a very comprehensive attitude between us, I must say that he has behaved as a gentleman.
And I have showed him how I proceed.
We sat at the table, and he poured the three wines, for my son and me. The colors were incredibly young with no sign of brown. The smell evoked a fruity taste, and in mouth, the three wines were extremely lively.
Brad, for whom I poured three glasses, told me : "you insisted so much to take the Burgundy with a rather low level that I was curious to see, and I must say that you were right".
I was happy, because I had made a good choice among bottles which sometimes had not a pristine condition. And I was happy to have made a dream come true.
Which wines did we share ?
1918 Clos Vougeot Meunier
1893 Chateau Langoa-Barton
1895 Chateau Durfort
It was a risky choice and it was a success.
My ranking of the wines : 1 - Clos Vougeot Meunier 1918, 2 - Château Durfort 1895, 3 - Château Langoa-Barton 1893.
The meat in the Steak House is delicious. The service is very professional and efficient.
We intend to come back with my son next time for two days : choice of the wines on day 1 and dinner on day 2.
At the table, I was the happiest person in the world ! Thank you Brad.

Francois Audouze
Contributor 85 Pts

opening the wines in Tampa

Post by Francois Audouze » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 am

The attachment IMG_9837-Copie.JPG is no longer available
ImageBrad looking at my processing !
Attachments
IMG_9837-Copie.JPG

Francois Audouze
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Francois Audouze » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:27 am

to see more pictures you can go to this address, after the text :

TAMPA

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Francois... Thanks for sharing! The additional pictures were great. I would have picked the 1895 Pichon Baron. I've had the 1900, which was wonderful. Did they have any pre phylloxera Bordeaux wine?

Morgan Bugbee
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Morgan Bugbee » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Wow, this is amazing. My boss is in Tampa, so I'll need to make sure I get time to have dinner at Bern's when I go to see him.

Francois Audouze
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Francois Audouze » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:46 am

I have not seen prephylloxeric Bordeaux.
I would have taken one !
They have a nice choice, but the best years have been already drunk.

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:50 pm

The wines you get to taste Francois, you should write a book..... like Broadbent have.....