TN: Three Cabs (Joguet, Hughes, Cloud View)

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Loren Sonkin
Contributor 85 Pts

TN: Three Cabs (Joguet, Hughes, Cloud View)

Postby Loren Sonkin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:02 am

• 2005 Charles Joguet Chinon Les Varennes du Grand Clos - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (2/20/2011)
    Outstanding. Popped and poured. A nose of raspberries and some leather. Nothing green on the nose. Maybe some cigar. On the palate, this is lush and with plenty of fruit while at the same time, complex and layered. Still quite youthful, probably should have waited. Still, it drinks so easily and is very delicious. Yes, this was a ripe vintage, but I think a really great one for Loire Cab Franc. (92 pts.)
  • 2008 Cameron Hughes Cabernet Sauvignon Lot 200 - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/20/2011)
    Drank over two nights. It took a couple of hours to open then was good to go. Nice cassis flavors, a bit too much primary oak, but I am sure it will integrate. This drinks well and on Day 2, was very smooth. I should move these to the "hold" section of the cellar, at least for a few years. (90 pts.)
  • 2006 Cloud View Pritchard Hill - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/20/2011)
    From a recent WTSO purchase. The cork was stained up the side and just a bit on the top. I need to check my other bottles. The cork came out too easily, so I am glad I opened this. I don't think it was stored poorly but it is possible. Cassis, raspberries, for a second, I got a prune note, but then it went away and I may have been looking for it. Easy to drink and perhaps a bit more open on Day 2, but not a great wine. I liked the Owners (or former owners) and have always liked this wine, but I think given the location, it under performs. We will see with the new Continuum. In any event for the $33, it is a nice wine if not a screaming deal. If this develops more or if this was a less than great bottle, I may change my mind. (89 pts.)

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”