What is your best wine ever?

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

What is your best wine ever?

Post by Christer Byklum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:17 am

Mine was a 1928 Château Suduiraut, that I was served blind at Cru in New York. I actually nailed the producer, but was off by 40 years. This bottle, was pure perfection, a balance beyond words, and aftertaste lasting for hours. I have later tasted the 28 Yquem as well, and that bottle was aslo perfection, but not quite as perfect as the Suduiraut, and not nearly as long.

I'm setting the bar quite high here, but it doesn't have to be something like this to be burnt into the memory for ever.

Loren Sonkin
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Loren Sonkin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:22 am

Mine was a 2005 Chateau Rasque (Provence) Rose drunk in May, 2007. We drank it at an outdoor restaurant (La Piazza) in Cannes for lunch during the film festival. It was a gorgeous day with a stunning blue sky. Beautiful Mediterranean breezes. Gorgeous women walking by while the street was filled with Mazzerratis and Rolls Royces. The wine was crisp, cool and 12.5% alcohol. Refreshing strawberries and cherries. Went well the food, too. I have never enjoyed a bottle of wine more than that one. I believe it was 7 Euros off the list.

laurent gibet
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by laurent gibet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:47 am

Krug collection 1964 (magnum) : lunch on the lake (Marc Veyrat) !

Jon Bjork
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Jon Bjork » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44 am

Mine was a 1990 Latour we had back in 2000 atop the St. Francis Hotel in SF along with a whole flight of Latour put on by K&L Wines. It was such a perfect day that even though other better wines may come along, it will hard to beat what is now legenary in my mind.

Jason Goldberger
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Jason Goldberger » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:46 am

I am never sure. There are a range of wines could qualify as my "best" ever.

1994 Harlan
1982 Cheval
1990 Beaucastel (Perhaps this is my favorite wine)
1990 Beaucastel Hommage
1976 Prum LGK WS Auslese

mustafa camlica
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by mustafa camlica » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:02 am

For me, it was 61 Ducru.

laurent gibet
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by laurent gibet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:08 am

Jason,

I agree with Cheval Blanc 82 (twice rated 100/100).

The 2 beaucastel 90 are wonderful wines.

david shaw
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by david shaw » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Does the best wine ever actually exist ? For me I am constantly enthralled by time, place and occasion coming together in an emotional terroir. I have only been enjoying wine for 25 years. Could it be an Yquem 62 in my 20s and that rush of creme brulee and orange confit as my friendfirst opened the bottle ? Or the 59 Niersteiner from the Staatsweinbaudomain..all blood red orange with such a prcision and powerful grace, I thought it would outlive me ? Or a simple Jean Lionnet St Peray '98 10 years on, at a abarbie in the Ardeche and Petanque at 2 in the morning under flashlights. Or a Richebourg 02 with Lalou-Bize Leroy serving you, just to see the twinkle in her eye ? Or my first Grange, a 79 tasted back in 91..black.broody and untamed, it outshon the Chapelle 82 like a bolshy first date..Or the first time i had Gewurtz in Zind-Humbrecht cellar and understood the box of exotic spices that can exist. Or a simple Cornas from Clape..a Mourvedre from Pibarnon, a Pinot from Comte Durand..last week in the Alpujarras, the puest wines I have evertried at 5500 ft..the list is always infinite but the mind hold stock of a palate of personal treasures.. Tomorrow who knows...and thank god for that

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:01 am

I m quite clear---all from 1961 and in order Latour,La Chapelle and Palmer.

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 am

Keith, you seem to have a fantastic collection! All the above is on my wish list to try, but I love many of the 61's I've tried, with Mouton as my absolute favorite so far, tasted three times, with barely any bottle variations. A superb wine. I have a 61 Margaux comming up soon for a tasting, but the fill is a bit low, (mid shoulder) so that worries me a bit.

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:01 am

Christer, I organise a lot of dinners for a SA charity I am a Trustee of, PebblesProject http://www.pebblesproject.co.za and hence collect quite a few "Trophy" wines to have at these dinners.Was fortunate to have Hugh Johnson as my guest of honour in 2009 and Jancis Robinson last year.Very lucky that all three of the wines mentioned were absolutely at their peak----just unbelievable
Next year maybe Jeff Leve!!

Mark Slater
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Mark Slater » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 am

David Shaw makes a very good point about the "emotional terroir" ( I like that phrase, David). In a purely analytical tasting setting, I was fortunate to have been the sommelier at an event about 11 years ago in which all the First Growths and all the greatest Pomerols and St-Emilions were served side by side from two vintages: 1961 and 1982. The wines were in pristine condition and had never moved from the cellar since they were released. For my taste, the one wine that went places the others didn't, that was the most haunting and ethereal was Cheval Blanc '61. None of the wines could be called bad (except the corked bottle of '61 Latour-a-Pomerol), but the Cheval Blanc had a brilliance, a most exotic bouquet that kept evolving over hours and a texture unlike any Bordeaux I had tasted before or since. The close second to the Cheval Blanc, in my opinion, was Petrus '61, by the way. While it was interesting to taste the '82s, the '61s left them in the dust across the board.

Benjamin Weinberg
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Benjamin Weinberg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Here's a vote for an '82 over any '61s (and I've tried all the first-growths at least once). For me, the 1982 Lafite was the greatest red wine I've ever had, but part of that fascination were the surrounding circumstances. A good friend's crazy boss asked him to recommend a good wine. Jokingly (or so he thought) he replied that '82 Lafite was pretty good. Later that week his boss called him into the corner office. There, with a full glass of red in his hand, he showed my buddy two cases of that very elixir, agreed that it was very good, and gave him two bottles as a finder's fee!

The next day I bought a hundred dollars of dry-aged porterhouse and made dinner for two (my wife, who cares little about wine, agreed to leave us alone). I opened the Lafite noonish and had a tiny sip every hour on the hour. To my great consternation, the wine consistently tasted like nothing so much as the lead of a pencil. 5:00, 6:00 came and went, and still no fruit, only graphite and tannin. My friend shows up around 7pm and at that point the wine exploded into a riotous, joyous amalgamation of red and purple fruit, tea and mushroom, with grippy yet velvety tannins and a finish so long that I think I still taste it. The last sip of the bottle around 11pm was the best, and no red wine I've had since then has matched it.

Was it the wine or the circumstance that put it at the front of the pack? Maybe that's a different question... :)

Jim Cowan
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Jim Cowan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:04 pm

N/V Cedric Bouchard, Champagne La Parcelle.
And I am not a guy who goes much for bubbles.
Best, Jim

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Benjamin, I have not tasted the 82 Lafite, but just a few weeks back I had the 82 Carruades, and that was a beauty as well.....