a red Burgundy which could be of the 18th century

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Francois Audouze
Contributor 85 Pts

a red Burgundy which could be of the 18th century

Post by Francois Audouze » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:05 pm

During works made in the abbaye Saint-Vivant not far from Vosne Romanée, some broken bottles were found and a full bottle was found in 2006.
Studies on the glass of the broken bottles indicate bottles of a period 1760 - 1780.

Aubert de Villaine, co-owner of DRC is the president of the association which restore the abbaye. He received the bottle and decided that the content would be analysed by the university of Dijon.

He invited scientists and I was invited too and Aubert asked me to open the bottle.

Pictures of this event can be seen there :

MYSTERY WINE

When I opened the wine I had a big surprise : the cork was brand new.
Aubert and Jean Charles Cuvelier had the memory of an old cork.
My hypothesis is that Aubert asked some people of his staff to put wax on the bottle to prevent any seepage; and it could have happened that the people, thinking that to put wax on a wounded cork would be crazy, have put a new cork.

So,we were nervous, because the question was : is the wine an old wine ?

When the bottle was finally opened in a neutral atmosphere (see pictures) and when the scientist had taken what is necessary for analysis, we could drink.

And it was a wine and an old wine.
The taste was really a taste of wine, but vinegar was present. The bottom of the bottle was the best, with length and intensity. But the wine was not a wine of pleasure.

Ten minutes later the wine collapsed, the vinegar invading the taste.

Aubert offered us to drink a Romanée Saint-Vivant Gaudemet-Canut 1915 which was absolutely perfect, with a high emotion.

To have drunk a pinot noir which could have more than 200 years is a unique experience that I have enjoyed. And I feel as an honor that Aubert de Villaine offered me to participate.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 am

Francois... Now am I speechless. I cannot even dream of a wine that is from the 1700's!

Alex Stone
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Alex Stone » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 am

Mr. Audouze. Are you serious? You tasted a wine from the 1700's? I am in awe. You are my hero.

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 am

Wow

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:12 am

Even the 1915 is WOW

Francois Audouze
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Francois Audouze » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:47 am

The 1915 was in perfect condition. It was a really great wine.
This mystery wine was a unique experience. I am really happy to have been invited to participate.
Regional newspapers have reported about this event, and I was interviewed.
This created some questions from other journalists, curious about that.