95 Pomerols

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Russell Faulkner
Active Member 75 Pts

95 Pomerols

Post by Russell Faulkner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 am

What are recent expereinces of the top 95 Pomerols like, I think they might be just coming out of their shells based on a bottle of Lafleur and VCC. I picked up a case of Trotanoy recently and was getting tempted to remove it from storage.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:05 am

Russell... As we're both Pomerol lovers, we really need to do a night of Pomerol one of these days. For me, 95 is an odd vintage for Pomerol. Overall, I have not been happy with the wines. I suppose not excited is the correct technical term. A lot of the wines feel hard and show an austere personality. Many also feel a little dilute. I really liked 95 Clinet. I opened a 95 Trotanoy a few weeks ago and it was corked!

brad andonian
New Member 50 Pts

Post by brad andonian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 am

I have been working thru a case of Latour a Pomeral; softening up and very drinkable. Not a full throttle wine at all, but food friendly and pleasant. Perhaps a more "english luncheon claret"....

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:20 am

Have not got round to drinking many 95 Bordeaux at all,but did enjoy a Evangile alongside the 82 the other night. Obviously the 82 was a far better drinking experience,but I think the 95 will be nearly as good given another ten years.

laurent gibet
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by laurent gibet » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 am

I enjoyed a match Lafleur 95/Trotanoy 95 a few years ago.

Disappointment with Petrus 95 (blind) : wait ?

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 am

The 95 Pomerol's are starting to drink now, but as stated above, not the most exciting vintage for Pomerol from my experience. But many can still keep if you like the more aged flavours from cellaring, there is no hurry.

Rob Hansult
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Rob Hansult » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 am

Jeff Leve wrote:Russell... As we're both Pomerol lovers, we really need to do a night of Pomerol one of these days. For me, 95 is an odd vintage for Pomerol. Overall, I have not been happy with the wines. I suppose not excited is the correct technical term. A lot of the wines feel hard and show an austere personality. Many also feel a little dilute. I really liked 95 Clinet. I opened a 95 Trotanoy a few weeks ago and it was corked!
Jeff, the '95 Clinet was really nice, but I'm sure you'd agree not in a class with the '90, & especially the work of art Arcaute & Rolland achieved with the '89.
Just imagine the vintages we'd have to taste & talk about if Jean-Michel Arcaute had been given free reign to continue? How many more '89's, so to speak?

Gone way before his time.

R.I.P. Jean-Michel, Pomerol misses your passion.

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 am

As a lover of Pomerol,I am really looking forward to Neal Martin,s book on the appellation,which I gather may be published,within the next 6 months.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:23 am

Rob Hansult wrote:Jeff, the '95 Clinet was really nice, but I'm sure you'd agree not in a class with the '90, & especially the work of art Arcaute & Rolland achieved with the '89.
Just imagine the vintages we'd have to taste & talk about if Jean-Michel Arcaute had been given free reign to continue? How many more '89's, so to speak?

Gone way before his time.

R.I.P. Jean-Michel, Pomerol misses your passion.

Rob I agree with you 100%! So why am I posting? :D 90 Clinet is a stunning wine. Keep in mind, while the 95 is not in the same league, it's less than half the price.

*** Keith, I am looking forward to reading Neal's book as well. I wonder if he'll send me a press copy :D