Does anyone have ideas for food and wine pairing to share?

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Tim Oregon
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by Tim Oregon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Being an avid reader here is my contribution to the Food and Wine Forum

I like to cook and for dinner tonight, I am cooking Oso Buco with a jar of my homemade Tomato Sauce and a jar of NorthWest Chanterelle Mushrooms which I pick from my secret location here in Oregon during late September-October. I saute/brown the Oso Buco or a hunk of Shoulder Pork with a whole bulb of garlic, add some chilli flakes. After 5 minutes of browning, I toss in my jar of sauce and mushrooms into my large Le Crueset Dutch Oven and add some fresh Rosemary, thyme and Oregano and then place the Le Crueset in the Oven for 2-3 hrs till the meat falls apart. I then serve over pasta or fresh egg noodles with some grated cheese.
And most importantly I have this with a glass of Chateau St Pierre (my favorite) or other left bank Bordeaux. Feeling Hungry!!!!!!!!!

brad andonian
New Member 50 Pts

Post by brad andonian » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:48 am

I am partial to braised rabbit: I use an alsatian recipe adapted from Judy Giese's NW cookbook. Braise cabbage, drain and saute onion. Brown the rabbit (jointed) and then add white wine and simmer for an hour; serve over rice. I prefer a red or white burgundy with the meal.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:20 am

Pairing food and wine is part of the fun. I admit, most of my ideas are traditional. I think of pairings related to texture.

An intersing pairing I had last year was Sauternes with oysters. It combined sweet with salt and both textures were rich and think.

What has anyone else come up with lately?

W Keefer
New Member 50 Pts

Post by W Keefer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 pm

I have had some Sauternes paired with several seafood dishes recently, including a seared sea scallops with shallots dish. I think the richness of many of those shellfish works well with it. Taking it a completely different direction, really enjoying a scallops and risotto dish with a Sea Smoke Pinot Noir. Especially while it is still chilly outside I really like the red with seafood -- nontraditional but a great option.