TN: 2007 Gaja Barbaresco

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Martin Zwick
Serious Poster 90 Pts

TN: 2007 Gaja Barbaresco

Post by Martin Zwick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 am

2007 Gaja Barbaresco

A Barbaresco with charm and surprisingly quite open already.......offers great drinking pleasure. Surprise, surprise for such a young wine from Piedmont. In comparison the ´06 shows more structure and potential, but quite closed right now. But back to the ´07, it moves like a primaballarina on your palate. Such light on its feet and with so much grace. Normally I am a fan of old-school Piedmont, but I confess this wine is a real temptation. Silky texture, elegant&deep fruit, impressive balance, long finish and simply pure noblesse. Bewitching.......

93pts.

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am

Having tasted lots and lots of Gaja, I love them really old, the 58's and 91's are perfection, with the 58's up front. Then comes the late seventies when he started with the "dog cenels" or barrique's, and the wines to day is like chewing wood. But I love them again when they are young and the fruit still overshadows the oak, and hopefully, he uses the new wood maore carefully now. The 07 Barbaresco, I find it very closed, but what is undernesth is very nice. Haven't had the time to post my TN yet....