Comments on 2008 Bordeaux Vintage

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Ben Powell
New Member 50 Pts

Comments on 2008 Bordeaux Vintage

Post by Ben Powell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Jeff,

Great blog and great forum! I wanted to chime in on the 2008 vintage of Bordeaux. I attended the UGC Bordeaux tasting in Chicago a few weeks ago, and agree with you that 2008 belongs to drinkers and to restaurants: the wines are, for the most part, drinkable now, and the price tag doesn't frighten your wallet. The Pomerols were among the top flavor profiles, with Ch. La Conseillante being one of my top picks. One of my favorites, however, came from Saint Julien: Ch. Gruaud Larose. With its chocolate and dark fruit nose and light cocoa, spice, and cranberry palate, I was impressed by its juicy, yet very refined profile. Their second label, Larose de Gruaud, has been a favorite of mine for a few vintages now, being an incredible value for your everyday juicy steak dressed in bordelaise sauce. But the elegance and refinement that the flagship label brings to the table is worthy of a space on everyone's shelves. Cheers and keep up the good work! It's writers like you who have inspired some of us to reach deep down and find our creative writing skills to piece together blogs of our own.

Chris.Insley
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Chris.Insley » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 am

Nice Ben,.......we are both big fans of the 2008 Gruaud Larose. For me it's probably the best one since 2000. I love the Gruaud in many other vintages as well....it's among my favorite wines as it's so old school which matches my palate. This is a wine that ages a very long time and it gets better and better for many years (15-25 years and even more in some vintages). Try the 1979 and 1983 if you can find them....reasonably priced usually.

BTW....the 2009 GL has been praised even more by a number of critics and serious enthusiasts who have had the chance to try it in France. Looking forward to that one next year !

Cheers

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:00 pm

[INDENT]Hi Ben... Thanks for the post and the nice words. I apprecate it. I like 2008 Bordeaux. There are some very nice wines. When you factor in the low prices, there are many wines worth buying. If you want to read all my 2008 in bottle reviews, you can see them here: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/...ews-left-bank/

I noticed you liked Pomerol in 2008. I agree. With the UGC, Pomerol is under represented. There are some strong 08 Pomerol's, look for Le Gay, Providence, Hosanna, La Fleur Petrus and L'Eglise Clinet. At the middle of the top end, La Violette and Trotanoy are mind blowing wines! But they are pricey and hard to find. I liked the style of La Conseillante, but for my own palate, it felt a little light. It was similar to 1998 or 2001. For La Conseillante, I prefer vintages like 2000, 2005 and 2009. [/INDENT]

LAURENT Antoon
New Member 50 Pts

Post by LAURENT Antoon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:47 am

2008 Bordeaux are a beautiful drinkable wines,
ok depends of Cru, but generally they are very fruity, expressive ; I prefer 08 Vs 03.
More over, it's a good value before 2K 09 or 10.
I like drink the good cru of this vintage.
Be carfull have a vegetable wine too.
I'm agree 08 Pomerol is goodies (L'Eglise Clinet to instance) and you can drink and keep 5-10 years ...

the wine patriot

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:41 am

I find the 08's have structure for quite a long life, they are elegantly textured, with good fruit intensity and fres acidity and quite a lot of ripe tannins that is in some wines difficult to detect thanks to the very good balance. For me, they drink quite well now in their youth, but I'm cellaring, and are planning to keep them for a long time. Pontet-Canet 08 tasted last week is absolutely superb, but needs a lot of decanting, or fifteen years to start to open.

Steve Matthesen
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Steve Matthesen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 pm

The 2008 Lafite is certainly not cheap, but the rest are attractive...

David Pian
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by David Pian » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Yes Steve, I definitely agree! Especially when they put a big-ol' Chinese letter "Eight" on the bottle, the Chinese people just absolutely LOVE it, which in turn lifts up the price of Lafite even more for the 08 vintage on the global market. It's not all about how good the '08 Lafite really is, it's all about marketing ...and definitely supply and demand!

Christer Byklum
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Post by Christer Byklum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:29 am

2008 Mouton also doubled the price more or less over night with the 2008 label with a Chineese artis. Some speculate the same will meybe now happen with the 96 vintage, also with a Chineese artist.

Mark Neustrom
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Mark Neustrom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:14 pm

2008 was my last year in and I went with fun: Gracia, Hosanna, La Providence, Gazin and Pichon Lalande