2008 Bordeaux - What do you think as they are starting to arrive

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Chris.Insley
Contributor 85 Pts

2008 Bordeaux - What do you think as they are starting to arrive

Post by Chris.Insley » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:52 pm

The 2008 Bordeaux wines are starting to arrive in our local retail shops......I'm curious if you have tasted any of them and what you think. Robert Parker was bullish on the vintage as compared to other critics. James Suckling recently upgraded his original assessment of the vintage. Do you agree or disagree?

I have probably tasted a few more of the wines already than the most of us from this vintage but I'll admit that young wines are hard to asses. My opinion at this point is that the wines will prove to be a very fine vintage but it will take time for the masses to accept this. For whatever reason, there are currently many skeptics. I don't get that.....the vintage to me is obviously very good.

I tasted a fairly large number of the wines at the recent UGC in Santa Monica (a challenging experience) but it's really been my other opportunities for tasting the 2008's that has convinced me. The pricing in 2008 is certainly something to consider too.....lower than 05, 06, 07 and 09......does that make any difference to you?

What are your opinions with the latest vintage that is just arriving for us to sample?

mustafa camlica
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by mustafa camlica » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:39 pm

2008 is a Pomerol vintage.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I like 2008 Pomerol as well. But there are several exciting wines from the Medoc and Pessac Leognan that are worth buying. If consumers are selective, Margaux, Pauillac, St. Julien and St. Estephe also produced some very nice wines. Especially when you factor in the price.

I've been able to taste the vintage 4 times. The last two times were in bottle. If you want to read my reviews and notes on 2008 Bordeaux
http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/win ... -left-bank