Chateau LaFite Rothschild

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
tony magoulas
New Member 50 Pts

Chateau LaFite Rothschild

Post by tony magoulas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:29 pm

I recently went through my wine collection and discovered I own three bottles of Chateau LaFite Rothschild '72, a gift from family years ago.
Was this a particularly good year? Do they have any great value? How do I get an accurate assessment of their value and make them available for sale, if warranted?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Magoulas

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Tony

72 is a very bad year for all Bordeaux wines. But if any wine from 1972 has value, it's Lafite. However, the condition of the wine and the label is important. Bottles in good condition could bring $300-$500 per bottle. You can try to consign them to an online auction house like Acker Merral. Send an Email to them at [email protected] .

I hope this helps.

tony magoulas
New Member 50 Pts

Post by tony magoulas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Thank you for your response. The bottles and labels are in pristine condition and they were kept properly in a wine rack. I will contact the auction house you suggested. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

David Pian
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by David Pian » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Oh boy, I'm such a sucker for Lafite! Even if it's a bottle of vinegar inside, which the '72 is creeping very close to (sorry Jeff I am just a little more extreme than you :) , I'd still keep at least a bottle on hand just to appreciate the bottle art, especially its in such prestine condition, which is extremely difficult to come by.

tony magoulas
New Member 50 Pts

Post by tony magoulas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 pm

It's strange, I have an auction house in London telling me that bottles like mine in good condition can bring as much as $780 a bottle. They take on large collections and are not interested in my wines. They did recommend a website called the winecommune.com. They will either put small lots like mine up for auction or physically take possession of the bottles and offer them for sale at the best price they can find. Any feedback?
Tony Magoulas

David Pian
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by David Pian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi Tony, yes, auction houses normally have volumn requirement, meaning you have to meet their minimum dollar value. Try winebid.com. They normally have a $2,000 minimum value, but they make exceptions sometimes for some rare-bottles. Their current start-bid for your Lafite is $405, and since you have 3 bottles and in good condition, I'd give them a try. I think you might be good to go, but if not, let me know, I will refer you to my acquaintance at a few places, and they should be able to help you out. Well, good luck, and let me know, be more than glad to help!