Pehu-Simonet Face Nord Rose, 12` Roederer Rose, Krug 163eme, Pierre Callot BdB

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Pehu-Simonet Face Nord Rose, 12` Roederer Rose, Krug 163eme, Pierre Callot BdB

Post by Blake Brown » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Sone recent champagnes:

NV PEHU-SIMONET FACE NORD MONTAGNE de REIMS ROSE- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay, 6% still red Pinot Noir from 2015 organically farmed; assemblage: 70% 2015 with 30% from a solera type reserve which began with 2005 vintage; no ML; elevage in stainless steel with 28 months en tirage aging.
Tasting notes: pink red color; nose of rose petals, spice, clove and fresh red fruit followed by more of the same and joined by mint, blood orange, red cherry and red raspberry; it`s very dry, nicely fruity and yet in all is nicely balanced.

Also reviewed in another thread:
2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT ROSE- 63% Pinot Noir, 37% Chardonnay; highly recommended by a trustworthy friend, I purchased a 6 pack of this recent release, but due to warm weather issues, shipment was delayed until just last week; so this is the first sampling; this bottle was truly laden with rich fresh ripe red fruit which had some pronounced sweetness that I presume in time will balance out; no doubt, it was deliciously fruity; I got ginger and white pepper accents to the strawberry, red cherry and white peach notes; this wine had been bottle aged for 4 years then allowed to rest for a further 6 months after disgorging at a 9 gpl dosage.

MV KRUG GRANDE CUVEE 163eme Edition- this was opened to check in with this edition and I`I’m happy I did as I loved it as all of the others; the 163 doesn’t get a lot of love especially after the 164eme, but I’m good with this on any table I’m sitting at; the ID code 214035 says this is made from a blend of 183 wines over a total of 12 years with the oldest from 1990 and the youngest from 2007, received its cork in the spring of 2014; as I understand it, 73% comes from the 2007 vintage, a less than stellar year, but hey, this is Krug and they are the blending masters; as is tradition, there is close to equal parts of the 3 varietals {PN, Chard, PM}, in this case, 37%, 32% and 31% respectfully; this bottle had the requisite toasty brioche, almond butter and ginger accents to the slightly honeyed green apple, orange peel and lemon custard notes; it was rich and creamy and gracefully coated the palate with a glaze of bliss.

NV PIERRE CALLOT BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU BRUT- my first
exposure to this producer occurred while pouring champagne in LA at a recent trade event put on by Skurnik Wines West; the house has been in existence since 1784 and they’re in their 6th generation now which has evolved with Pierre creating his own brand in 1955 and turning over the operations in 1996 to his youngest son, Thierry; the NV includes 30% of the perpetual cuvee Pierre started in 85` along with 70% 2014; as with all of their wines, this spend 12 months in stainless steel tanks and is disgorged after 28 months sur latte; it went through a partial ML; it`s a blend of the house`s 3 grand crus, 95% coming from Avize and 5% from Cramant and Chouilly.
Tasting notes: yellow gold color; lemon is the key word here; it`s in the nose along with honey and joined by lime on the palate along with white peach and a toasty component; it`s basically lemon lime soda; very tasty, rich and very creamy, a good BdB.

Cheers,
Blake