12`Roederer Rose, 98`Cape d`Estaing Shiraz, 02`Dal Forno Valpol, 05` Schrader Old Sparky et al

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

12`Roederer Rose, 98`Cape d`Estaing Shiraz, 02`Dal Forno Valpol, 05` Schrader Old Sparky et al

Post by Blake Brown » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 am

Our dinner group met at the highly acclaimed Angel Oak restaurant located within the highly acclaimed resort property of Bacara Resort & Spa. As usual, we sat on the scenic outside oceanfront patio with sounds of the surf and the aura of the pre and post sunset brilliantly illuminating the background.

Also as usual, we ate numerous appetizers prior to our own entree and drank quite well and enough with 4 of our 6 wines in magnum.

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT ROSE- 63% Pinot Noir, 37% Chardonnay; highly recommended by a trustworthy friend, I purchased a 6 pack of this recent release, but due to warm weather issues, shipment was delayed until just last week; so this is the first sampling; our bottle was truly laden with rich fresh ripe red fruit which had some pronounced sweetness that I presume in time should balance out; no doubt, it was deliciously fruity; I got ginger and white pepper accents to the strawberry, red cherry and white peach notes; this wine had been bottle aged for 4 years, then allowed to rest for a further 6 months after disgorging at a 9 gpl dosage.

NV HEIDSIECK & CO. MONOPOLE TOP BRUT ROSE- corked

2011 DOMAINE ROMAIN COLLET LES PARGUES CHABLIS- Magnum; this was so elegant and graceful with consistent notes throughout the evening; it gave mineral infused citrus notes, was round, enticing, tantalising and balanced; it paired well with many dishes, but drank beautifully on its own; to be clear, this is really light and easy, fun and elegant.

1998 CAPE d`ESTAING ADMIRALS RESERVE SHIRAZ KANGAROO ISLAND- Magnum; 13.4% abv; the one who brought it stated this is cool climate Shiraz; inky dark color; roasted coffee dominates the nose followed by black cherry, blackberry and plum on the palate; I liked that it seemed to be reigned in just enough to please and not get into a full blown Mollydooker type rendition. IMHO of course.

2002 DAL FORNO ROMANO VALPOLICELLA SUPERIORE- Magnum; this was absolutely marvellous; it hit all of the sensory receptors blissfully in perfect harmony; the color was a youthful, vibrant dark purple; the nose had cedar, talc, mint and black fruit in spades; on the palate it gave up generously and gracefully, milk chocolate and mocha accents to the blackberry and black cherry fruit with some coconut coming in late; it was likened to being an Amarone and some called it such and re-checked the label; the syrupy like texture almost confirmed it; the amazing thing about this wine is it still maintained a steady pleasurable high level of quality throughout and never overpowered or over whelmed. Great wine.

2005 SCHRADER CELLARS “OLD SPARKY” BECKSTOFFER TO KALON VINEYARD CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- Magnum; 14.7% abv; I expected a grandiose, huge wine and got everything but; it had opulence, class, charm and elegance; talc, cedar, licorice and spice provide accents to the blackberry and black currant fruit; knowing the abv, I kept looking for the heat, but thankfully it never materialized; this had amazing balance and reeked of integrity; on the heels of the Dal Forno, I hoping I don’t have to pick a WOTN.

2008 SAN GIUSTO a RENTENNANO VIN SAN GIUSTO TOSCANA- 90% Malvasia, 10% Trebbiano hand picked at full maturity and naturally dried for about 120 days before pressing; this was super sweet, thick and syrupy with a maple flavor; definitely dessert in a glass or a topping for pancakes; suggest using a dropper full max.

Cheers,
Blake