2005 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia/ 2005 Ornellaia

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

2005 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia/ 2005 Ornellaia

Post by Blake Brown » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:03 pm

A couple of gems shared with good friends over dinner:

2005 LOPEZ de HEREDIA VINA BOSCONIA RESERVA RIOJA- when it comes to the Vina Tondonia vs. Vina Bosconia debate, I`m on the side of the Bosconia and this bottle remained me of why; following the deep ruby red cherry color, the first notice was the velvety texture and the steady and even flow of blueberry and blackberry fruit it carried; I know it has seen an immense amount of oak, but it was nicely integrated and barely noticeable, even if I did project it with expectation; it was full bodied and yet very elegant; compared to the 04`, I call this a notch better with both being stellar.

Viña Bosconia wines come from their vineyard called El Bosque which is situated next to the river Ebro. The Reserva is aged for 5 years in American oak barrels and hand racked around 10 times before they are released to the market.

2005 TENUTA DELL`ORNELIAIA BOLGHERI SUPERIORE- 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petit Verdot; nice tobacco accented black currant, blackberry and plum notes pervade throughout in this full bodied, layered wine with a just a bit of astringency noticeable.

The wine went thought 100% ML in oak barrels, 70% new and 30% once used. It remained in barriques in temperature controlled cellars for a total period of 18 months. After the first 12 months the master blend was made. The wine was then re-introduced into barrique where it spent the remaining 6 months,  followed by 12 months in the bottle prior to release.

Cheers,
Blake