1995 NICOLAS JOLY CLOS de la COULEE de SERRANT SAVENNIERES-COULEE de SERRANT

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

1995 NICOLAS JOLY CLOS de la COULEE de SERRANT SAVENNIERES-COULEE de SERRANT

Post by Blake Brown » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Our lunch group deviated from our usual big and bold red wine theme to explore the wines from Loire. I deviated from my usual note taking role and just sat back and enjoyed the fellowship, food and wines.

There were a few remarkable wines that I remember enough to make note of so here tis:

1995 NICOLAS JOLY CLOS de la COULEE de SERRANT SAVENNIERES-COULEE de SERRANT- Chenin Blanc; 15.5% abv with 5 g/l RS; the color was browning yellow gold; as with the color, the nose was highly suggestive of an oxidised wine with walnut and sherry like aromas; on the palate, caramel and butterscotch blend in with ripe peach and apricot notes; it was rich and very creamy; I’m presuming this bottle is indicative of the norm with its high alcohol and residual sugar content.

This is a single property in Savennières yet it has its own appellation. Exclusively white wines are made here from the Chenin Blanc grape, but perhaps the main reason Coulée de Serrant is so talked about is because its owner is Nicolas Joly, one of the leading proponents of biodynamic viticulture.

Cheers,
Blake