2002 DIDIER DAGUENEAU SILEX POUILLY-FUME

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

2002 DIDIER DAGUENEAU SILEX POUILLY-FUME

Post by Blake Brown » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 am

Our lunch group deviated from our usual big and bold red wine theme to explore the wines from Loire. I deviated from my usual note taking role and just sat back and enjoyed the fellowship, food and wines.

There were a few remarkable wines that I remember enough to make note of so here’s another one:

2002 DIDIER DAGUENEAU SILEX POUILLY-FUME- I met Didier, “the wild man of Pouilly”, on a few occasions as he visited the Santa Barbara area and friends including Jim Clendenen, Fred Brander and Doug Margerum, all local winemakers; having long hair as I did, he immediately related to me as another hippy who loved wine; it was a great loss when his plane crashed and he died in 08`; I’ve loved all of his wines especially the Silex and Pur Sang releases.

Our bottle may have been bought by Fred Brander who I know had numerous bottles, many in magnum and has been gracious to share them often.

It had a straw color to match a segment of the flavour profile which also had herb and honey infused citrus notes, bright acidity and that hallmark creamy texture that really enhanced the sensorial pleasures all the way to the back end.

It is barrel fermented and barrel aged, and is made from 35- to 60-year old vines planted in silex- (silica) rich soil. This is Sauvignon Blanc at its best.

Cheers,
Blake