2008 Cristal

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

2008 Cristal

Post by Blake Brown » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 am

A friend who I met on the Wine Beserkers board visited Santa Barbara as part of his West Coast tour. I got some of the gang together to help welcome him righteously with great wines and dinner at one of the best, the El Encanto. We were appropriately seated inside the restaurants wine cellar room.

Among al the wines we drank, the most recent release of Roederer`s Cristal was among them. The 2008 Cristal has received considerable hype and I have been fortunate to get some soon after placing the order. It only seemed appropriate to open one for our grand dinner.

2008 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- 60% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir; at first, this was pretty subdued, tight and ungiving; with time it started to open up a little much like the petals of a flower going from being fully enclosed to slightly open; I had to search for some of the goodies, but sure enough, some depth and complexity became apparent and all was well albeit suggestive of giving this a lot of time before revisiting [ha, ha. I don’t seem to be able to keep my hands off these youngsters]; the color was a very pale yellow; the nose had mild citrus notes which translated into lemon, lime and green apple on the palate; there’s a bit of saline and hint of spice; although it never reached a place of full on giving, it was clearly evident that this has the richness and power to provide the class and royalty expected.

Cheers,
Blake