Favourite USA Chardonnay

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Favourite USA Chardonnay

Post by Keith Prothero » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:42 pm

I am hosting a new world v old world Chardonnay tasting in London in June . All wines will be tasted blind and there will be a number of distinguished burgundy experts there. The objective is to demonstrate that many of the top new world Chardonnay can compete with the best from burgundy
Am trying to get a good representation from countries such as New Zealand , Australia and South Africa but obviously also the USA.
Have the following. Aubert Richie 2011, Ramay Ritchie 2014, Littorai Theirot 2014 , Paul Lato Souvenir 2015 , Kutch 2015 ,Sandhi Sanford and Benedict 2014

I realise there are so many other fine wines including Marcassin , Kesner Heintz, Evening Land , Liquid Farm etc etc but I am limited to what is available in the U.K.

Any obvious wines I have not included or you would recommend ?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Favourite USA Chardonnay

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:27 am

Hey Keith

The best chardonnay wines from California are : Aubert, Kistler, Marcassin, Morlet and Peter MIchael.

Those 5 producers each make various, single vineyard Chardonnay wines that are above all the other producers of that variety in California. They are all capable of being reference point wines. Some vineyards are better than others, and availability varies, but I imagine something from each can be found in the UK. It might be pricey, but I would think Hedonism has them.

Of course some vineyards, or barrel selections are better than others. But the single vineyard wines, and not the generic Sonoma coast blends are are sublime.

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks Jeff. Will see if I can find any of them

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Many thanks Jeff

Keith Prothero
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Keith Prothero » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:25 am

Many thanks Jeff

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Let me know what you buy and what you liked best. I know all these wines are they are sublime examples of the Chardonnay grape from California.