1990 Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

1990 Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage

Postby Blake Brown » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 am

1990 PAUL JABOULET LA CHAPELLE HERMITAGE- a wine I`ve treasured over many years and always enjoyed the competition between this one and the 89`; this was a good bottle with dark, vibrant still viable colour representative of the wine itself; there`s liquorice and spice accents to the plum, blackberry and cranberry fruit; it was full bodied and long; it had perfect balance and good structure to ensure longevity; the hallmark was how fresh and pleasing it tasted.

Cheers,
Blake

Paul Curtis
Active Member 75 Pts

Re: 1990 Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage

Postby Paul Curtis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Blake

Now had this three times over last three weeks. First two bottles were similar to your notes incl red cherries but most recent bottle nosed strongly of black olives which I hadn't detected before. Did you notice any olives?

In my last post I said the Somn had decanted last inch thro latest sieve and it was drinkable (at the end of a boozy evening)

We repeated with other bottles during rest of hols and conclusion was, sadly the dregs are not really salvageable.

Best wine of the holiday was La Mouline 91. Had two bots and one was great (say 97 pts) but the other was sensational.

I only had one duff bottle over the three weeks but all the others were notable for slight bottle variation. I was in a hot country a long way from France and suspect transportation a factor. Plus variation to be expected in a >20 year wine.

Best white of the hols was the La Meal 97. I think a lot of people would reject as oxidised, primarily because of the colour, but a beautifully complex wine, especially at the right temp (for me) just slightly chilled.

Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Re: 1990 Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage

Postby Blake Brown » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:20 am

Paul Curtis wrote:Blake

Now had this three times over last three weeks. First two bottles were similar to your notes incl red cherries but most recent bottle nosed strongly of black olives which I hadn't detected before. Did you notice any olives?

In my last post I said the Somn had decanted last inch thro latest sieve and it was drinkable (at the end of a boozy evening)

We repeated with other bottles during rest of hols and conclusion was, sadly the dregs are not really salvageable.

Best wine of the holiday was La Mouline 91. Had two bots and one was great (say 97 pts) but the other was sensational.

I only had one duff bottle over the three weeks but all the others were notable for slight bottle variation. I was in a hot country a long way from France and suspect transportation a factor. Plus variation to be expected in a >20 year wine.

Best white of the hols was the La Meal 97. I think a lot of people would reject as oxidised, primarily because of the colour, but a beautifully complex wine, especially at the right temp (for me) just slightly chilled.

Paul, thanks for the response. I have never gotten black olives in the La Chapelle thankfully. The 91` La Mouline sounds wonderful. It`s such a pleasure to drink great wine when it is showing great. Thanks for the other notes.

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”