Champagnes, white Burg, the best Beaujolais I`ve had, Fischer Eiswein

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Champagnes, white Burg, the best Beaujolais I`ve had, Fischer Eiswein

Postby Blake Brown » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am

We were houseguests of dear friends in the LA area for 3 days of immense pleasure. The first night we went to the Hollywood Bowl to hear the LA Phil. The venue is so ideal for enjoying great music as well as taking food and wine and creating the consummate picnic under the stars which is what we did.

Prior to departing for the Bowl and to prepare our plates for all of the treasures to come, we had a perfect rose champagne for a hot summer`s day.

NV FALLET-DART BRUT ROSE- 60% Meunier and 40% Pinot Noir that has been macerated for 48 hours on its skins; nice concentrated toasty red cherry with a touch of clove and all spice hits all the sensory preceptors just right; I like it served with a good chill which is how it was served which added to its crispness and refreshing effects.

Once at the Bowl, we spread out homemade treats prepared by our hosts who exercised their gourmet talents earlier in the day. With Riedel stemware and nice wines in tow, we feasted on the delight from the kitchen. Our wines:

2005 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- the 4th of a 6 pack and perhaps as good as any I`ve had; this medium plus bodied bubbly has so much going for it; there`s the rich flavours of citrus, apple and pear with perfect accents of toast, spice, ginger and a hint of vanilla that`s delivered in a light creamy mousse; it has lots of elegance and yet posses an element of power.

2010 CHATEAU de la CREE MORGEOT CHASSAGNE MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- light yellow color; served with a good chill; mild aromas of tropical fruit, citrus, pear and apple with a hint of minerals followed by more of the same plus more distinct fresh lemon, lime and minerality; it was very refreshing and had nice bright acidity; nicely balanced.

2015 DOMAINE LOUIS-CLEMENT DAVID-BEAUPERE LA CROIX de la BOTTIERE JULIENAS BEAUJOLAIS- 100% Gamay; 15% abv.; perhaps THE BEST Beaujolais I`ve ever had!!! This heavily extracted wine with its deep, dark rich purple colour was truly amazing; the aromatics jumped out of the glass with fresh, ripe dark fruit prevailing; the taste profile had serious spicy and vanilla laden red and black cherry, cranberry and blackberry with just a touch of sweetness and a hit of talc in the background; it was medium to full bodied and had enough weight to provide for a great mouthfeel; the wine kept on unfolding as layers upon layers surfaced; one of my top wines of the year.

1990 DR. FISCHER OCKFENER BOCKSTEIN MOSEL-SAAR-RUWER RIESLING EISWEIN- honeyed peach, apricot, pineapple and lemon notes were served up in a thick and almost chewy substance; it coated the palate in such a way as to provide for a long and lingering finish; a grand finale to a fine array of wines.

This evening conjured up images of Roman times when royalty were stretched out on gigantic pillows, plucking grapes off the stem, feasting off large legs of lamb and quaffing large silver goblets of wine while exotic dancers pranced about to the beat of the court`s musicians. It must have been the Beaujolais that effected me so. The LA Phil was pretty good too.

Cheers,
Blake

Please excuse typos and unintended auto-corrects

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”