Dinner w/15 wines incl Super Tuscans e.g. Sassacaia, Solaia, Flaccianello, Percarlo

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Dinner w/15 wines incl Super Tuscans e.g. Sassacaia, Solaia, Flaccianello, Percarlo

Postby Blake Brown » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Ten members of our biweekly fine wine dinner group enjoyed a great Italian meal at one of Santa Barbara`s finest, Pane e Vino, with a wine theme of Super Tuscan and helpers. As usual, we had many more bottles of wine than people and a few other than Super Tuscans.

2008 AYALA BLANC de BLANC BRUT- this was so good; it met the summer hot day requisite of being crisp and refreshing with an absolutely elegant demeanour; with bright acidity and in perfect balance, it gave up tropical and floral aromas with nice inviting citrus notes; the taste had lots of delicious lemon lime delivered in a medium bodied texture and it held on at the end to provide prolonged ecstasy.

2009 BOUCHARD les CLOUS MEURSAULT- pale yellow colour very lovely wine with hints of minerals accenting the lemon grass and lemon zest flavours; it had a medium body and texture, plenty of acidity and an overall pleasing personality.

2012 TENUTA dell`ORNELAIA POGGIO alle GAZZE- yellow gold colour; announced as being 100% Sauvignon Blanc, but information I found indicates it`s got 10% Viognier; regardless of the content, the context was wonderful; the aromatics jumped out of the glass with large dollops of minerality, grapefruit and lemon lime notes followed by a taste profile of more of the same plus some ripe peach butter in the flavour as well as its creamy rich texture; a mouthful of joy.

2004 PIERRE-YVES COLIN-MOREY les REFERTS PULIGNY-MONTRACHET- I was really looking forward to this bottle and once poured and seeing the dark gold color, I sensed an off wine and it was as in being significantly oxidised; not even good sherry.

2014 MARC COLIN LA GARENNE PULIGNY-MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- this shined brightly with distinct, but mild flavours of butterscotch, peach and citrus underlined by a streak of acidity and topped off with dash of spice; it was in perfect balance, had great mouthfeel and a long, satisfying finish.

2013 LUCIEN LE MOINE PERRIERES MEURSAULT 1ER CRU- this so pleasing viscous and fruity wine had an abundance of mineral infused lemon and apple flavours amidst its bright acidity; it held on for a long welcomed finish and completed a string of brilliant white Burgs that shined beautifully sans the PYCM.

2005 ANTINORI SOLAIA TOSCANA- decanted at the table, the color was a deep, dark inky purple which perfectly pictured what was to come on the palate; this was serious juice with considerable depth and massive complexity exhibiting liquorice, plum, blackberry and black cherry with a touch of smoke coming in late; I do not know the specific blend, but typically it is something like 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Sangiovese, and 5% Cabernet Franc; this wine has so much structure, it should be good for decades upon decades.

1999 SAN GIUSTO a RENTENNANO PERCARLO TOSCANA- 100% Sangiovese; although not a Super Tuscan, it worked into the lineup quite well with its intensity, layered depth and massive complexity; the fruit profile was loaded with tobacco leaf, leather, black cherry, black raspberry, and blackberry with a hit of menthol at the end; with time, it seemed to get even more serious and little sips were enough to garner the treasures.

2006 ISOLE e OLENA CABERNET SAUVIGNON COLLEZIONE de MARCHI- new to me and surprisingly good, this soft and smooth beauty had really pleasing spicy and talc notes in the black cherry blackberry and blueberry fruit; it was new world like from old world.

2013 SAN GUIDO SASSICAIA BOLGHERI- awesome in every aspect; it had a deep dark, rich purple colour fitting for the concentration and balance this exuded even in its youthful state; sandalwood, leather and chocolate accented the red and black cherry, plum and toward the end some black currant fruit; an amazing wine now with structure and a history for longevity.

2004 QUERCIABELLA PALAFRENO TOSCANA- 100% Merlot; another gem with fabulous feel and texture along with really nice fresh and spicy blueberry and blackberry from the nose thru the tail; the fruitiness was beautifully evident before I got my nose on it and it held on graciously forever; it`s still on my palate albeit 3 days later.

2013 FONTODI FLACCIANELLO dell PIEVE TOSCANA- absolutely fabulous wine; powerful, rich and fulfilling with massive depth and a serious fruit profile mainly consisting of blueberry, blackberry and black currant with spice, lavender, clove and leather joining in for embellishment; the tannic backboned gives this a guaranteed long successful life.

2015 DUEMANI CiFRA COST TOSCANA- 100% Cabernet Franc; the only wine served in a brown bag; this very fruit forward wine was fermented and aged in cement; the aromas were full of fresh cut flowers and fresh red fruit; the taste had more of red cherry/ berry and cranberry which remained on the palate through the long finish.

2014 VALDICAVA ROSSO di MONTALCINO- drinking like a Brunello, this fruity good wine had finesse and elegance to add to the spicy red and blue fruit; it was easy on the palate and stayed for a nice long finish.

2014 JAFFURS LATE HARVEST BIEN NACIDO VINEYARD VIOGNIER- 375 ml; lots of pineapple, melon, peach and pear in this nectar of the sweetness Gods; it`s thick and almost chewy, intensely concentrated and long.

Wow! Great night! So many winners and along with great Italian cuisine and fellowship, it leaves a smile on my face and my heart open.

Cheers,
Blake

Please excuse typos and unintended auto-corrects

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”