2004 CHATEAU PALMER XIXth CENTURY BLEND

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

2004 CHATEAU PALMER XIXth CENTURY BLEND

Postby Blake Brown » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:23 am

2004 CHATEAU PALMER XIXth CENTURY BLEND- a rare bottle comprised of 42.5% Cabernet and 42.5% from estate fruit and 15% Syrah from N. Rhone; it sometimes has been shown as "ermitage"; the vintage is not directly shown on the label, but there is a lot number that provides it, as in this case L.20.04; this bottle seemed to have more Syrah in that it had very distinct bacon fat notes; it was very complex with layers upon layers unfolding each giving up new nuances; fig, black currant, blueberry and even cranberry fruit appeared along with a hit of leather and earth, but the pork taint [just my play on words] started out early and late; I imagine the wine would have shown better to have been decanted, but it was pulled out of a cellar during a raid and opened immediately.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: 2004 CHATEAU PALMER XIXth CENTURY BLEND

Postby Jeff Leve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:31 am

Blake, 2004 is the first vintage of this unique wine produced by Chateau Palmer. Having tasted every vintage produced, at least in my opinion, the 2004 remains the best vintage produced yet for this special cuvee'.

Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Re: 2004 CHATEAU PALMER XIXth CENTURY BLEND

Postby Blake Brown » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 am

Jeff, there is a neat case of good Karma involved here, in that the friend who gifted this to his guests received a bottle of the 06` from another person totally unrelated to the party group about a week later. What goes around, comes around.

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”