2016 Bordeaux purchasing theme

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Dave Poppons

2016 Bordeaux purchasing theme

Postby Dave Poppons » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 am

Jeff,

For 2016 Bordeaux, I was thinking that my method for buying en primeur would be to stick with second tier pauillac like wines since the quality was so good and the prices are, I think reasonable. The three wines whose flavor profile I like are pichon baron, lynch bages and leoville poyferre. Pichon Lalande is also appealing but lacks the structure of those three wines and I don't think I will purchase it unless it would turn into the '82 over time. So, Jeff, which of these wines do you think has the most upside potential in terms of their score rising over the long term? thanks!!

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: 2016 Bordeaux purchasing theme

Postby Jeff Leve » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Hey Dave...It has been a while. If it is just Pauillac you're thinking of... Pichon Baron & Pichon Lalande are both potential 100 Pt wines! Pontet Canet is just a bit behind those 2 stunners. Did you read my guide to 2016 Pauillac yet? http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/201 ... ines-ever/

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Yes Jeff, I have read all of your reviews. I was also thinking about buying figeac, LMHB and am waiting on prices.

I have noticed that for these specific wines especially the Lynch, that scores tend to drift upwards in the better years. For 2016, critics have uniformly given Lynch a high score. Are they already factoring in the fact that this wine usually improves or is it just so darn good that it is starting out at a higher score? I know you can only speak for yourself and not other critics.

Do you think that the 2016 leoville poyferre might have the potential to be as good as the 2010?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Postby Jeff Leve » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:27 am

2016 Lynch Bages is a very good wine. Probably one of the best wines they have ever produced. You should buy the 2016 Figeac, regardless of what it costs, as it is that good. For you, the same for La Conseillante. But it will be pricey.... That is my guess...

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks for your recommendation Jeff.

Last year I went for big names. I don't think that's a bad thing but doing the same thing every year will become boring for me.

So for 2016 en primeur, I am buying the names whose fruit flavors I have enjoyed over the years.

I don't enjoy gambling but for some reason I find it really exciting to take positions in futures, but only for wines that I plan to drink or share with friends. There is something very thrilling in reading tasting notes and making a decision on what to buy without actually tasting the wine.
And if only for that reason, it is my hope that Bordeaux futures campaigns will continue.

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Figeac was out today and got some. Thought the price was pretty reasonable given consistently high scores. So with lynch, pichon baron and figeac I think that's it for now.

It is said that there is something in buying a famous name, maybe that the score will move higher or the wine will have better longevity. I don't know what you think about that Jeff.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Postby Jeff Leve » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Dave Poppons wrote:Figeac was out today and got some. Thought the price was pretty reasonable given consistently high scores. So with lynch, pichon baron and figeac I think that's it for now.

It is said that there is something in buying a famous name, maybe that the score will move higher or the wine will have better longevity. I don't know what you think about that Jeff.

I am not sure what the question is. Are you asking if the wines will be a good investment? In the longterm, yes. But the wines you mentioned are probably at close to retail. But anything can happen. Best course of action is buy the wines you like that you want to drink and can easily afford to pop a cork without worry and you will be well set.

Dave Poppons

Postby Dave Poppons » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Oh, I just meant whether it's better to buy a wine of greater pedigree than a lesser one where both have the same rating. For example, Figeac is 200 bucks and ausone is 800 but both have the same rating. Should critics give these wines the same rating, they are saying they are the same in terms of quality. One is three hundred percent more expensive. Is that just buying the name or is there some unmeasurable extra value attached to wines of greater name that might imply greater longevity, a future higher rating or greater worth in the future? Maybe that's an unfair example as I find ausone to be a mindblowing wine but I think you know what I mean.

I would never sell any wine in my collection except to possibly buy more wine or different wine if my tastes change as I age. Or I might trade wine for other wine. But never sell to make a profit. I don't know anything about the wine business and its not my day job.

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”