Tasting of Wines from the Crus Bourgeois du Medoc

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Tasting of Wines from the Crus Bourgeois du Medoc

Postby Howard Cooper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Wonderful tasting of wines from the Crus Bourgeois du Medoc at Ripple this week. We tasted 2014s from 14 wineries - Chateau Arnauld, Chatea Larose Perganson, Chateau Larose Trintaudon, Chateau Arsac, Chateau Hanteillan, Chateau Patache d'Aux, Chateau La Haye, Chateau Labadie, Cahteau Lalaudey, Chateau Meyre, Chateau Moulin a Vent (and I was expecting it to be made of Gamay ), Chateau Peyredon Lagravette, Chateau Rollan de By and Chateau Tour Seran (the last two have the same owner), and then had the wines from each winery with dinner (some 2014s, some 2012s, some 2010s and one 2009 (Tour Seran). These were really nice wines for drinking. They were well balanced and not blockbuster wines. Beautiful wines. My guess is that the wines will age pretty well, but they are quite nice now. Many of the wines seem to cost in the area of $15 to $30, but I am having trouble finding 2014s of these wines in the US. If the 2014s can be found in the US at this price range, they are really good values. I do not know of comparable California Cabernet of quality at around $20. But, that is if I can find the wines.

I liked the 2014s. They had nice richness and good acidity. This meant that the wines combined both flavor and brightness and made them quite enjoyable. The 2012s had decent richness, but did not seem to have the acidity and were less bright. The 2010s were quite good. We had one 2009, which makes it hard to generalize because it was a wine that was quite good in 2014 also (Tour Seran).

Overall, I liked a lot of the wines that were Cabernet based than the wines that were more Merlot based, which, at least with the 2014s, seemed too soft. I did not notice this distinction as much at dinner. Some of my favorite 2014s were Chateau Arnauld, Chateau D'Arsac, Chateau Patache D'Aux and Chateau La Haye. But then (just to show a total lack of consistency), I really liked Chateau Rollan de By and Chaeau Tour Seran, both of which were mostly Merlot. For the most part, the preferences on wines continued with the dinner wines. Overall, an excellent tasting. Thanks to Panos and Ripple for organizing this and to all the growers and to the Crus Bourgeois du Medoc for coming here. Interesting night.

Return to “Wine & Food Talk”