12 Super Tuscans w/ Masseto, Redigaffi, Ornellaia +++

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

12 Super Tuscans w/ Masseto, Redigaffi, Ornellaia +++

Post by Blake Brown » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:51 pm

Our fine wine dinner group enjoyed another fabulous dinner, this time at the esteemed Olio e Limone restaurant, one of Santa Barbara`s finest. Our wine theme was Super Tuscans and along with many other brings, 12 of us ate and drank with pleasure:

NV VILLA SANDHI PROSECCO CARTIZE VIGNA LA RIVETTA- from a bottle shaped in the fashion of the one used by Taittinger for their Comtes de Champagne, this was more sparkling Sauvignon Blanc like with grassy and herbaceous notes; it was quite dry and yet another expression in the Prosecco family.

2006 MOET & CHANDON BRUT ROSE- I bought a 6 pack of this along with the 06` Brut and it was the first sampling of the rose as was the Brut 2 weeks ago at our last dinner; it had a medium to dark salmon color, aromatics of toast, rose petal and strawberry, a significant taste profile of brioche, ginger, fresh sliced strawberries and a touch of spice along with plenty of acidity which provides a substantial foundation; this is very good and the Brut may be just a tad better.

NV R.H. COUTIER BRUT ROSE- the winner of the sparklers on this evening; the nose was redolent of nice spicy, peppery red fruit which continued on with red raspberry and red cherry most prevalent; it had pleasing texture, bright acidity and a lingering fruity finish; very good bubbly and one I`ve enjoyed before and shall purchase for more consumption.

2014 DOMAINE SAUMAIZE-MICHELIN les COURTELONGS POUILLY FUISSE- this showed quite well; the nose had some spiciness along with citrus notes which continued on with especially lemon notes prevailing and provided a delicious taste treat as well a palate pleasing light creamy texture; it was medium bodied, not serious, but fun.

2010 SAN FILIPPO BRUNELLO di MONTALCINO- it had an inviting nose of spiced cranberry, a taste profile of briary, oak laden wild black cherry/ berry with hints of depth and complexity that will be forthcoming into a much more expressive wine with evolution

2008 SALICUTTI PIAGGIONE RiSERVA BRUNELLO di MONTALCINO- 100% Sangiovese; with a dark rich purple color, this shined ever so brightly with aromatics of talc and leather infused red and black cherry flavors which exploded on the palate making a statement of power and yet there was an element of finesse as well; it was full bodied and had strong tannins to suggest allowance for many years of aging before even thinking of maturity; loved the balance and overall sensory treat; eventually my WOTN although there were some other real winners.

2008 TENUTA di TRINORO LE CUPOLE TUSCANA- 35% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Franc, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Petit Verdot; an entry level wine for this producer; the nose suggests something way different here with minerals and iron along with wild cranberry/ cherry/ plum fruit and a hit of spice, followed by an ever developing taste of these components expanding over the palate and crescendoing during the long finish; full body, big and bold and a bit clumsy at this stage; time should serve it well to evolve and balance out.

2010 FELSINA BERARDENGA FONTALLORO TOSCANA- 100% Sangiovese; another big and bold brut although this one had somewhat more conventional aromatics and taste notes with generous amounts of spicy, peppery, wild cherry/ berry/ blackberry in the nose and taste which was joined by a nice hit of toasted cherry; lots of energy here which is eased by the smooth mouthfeel and soft tannins; good wine now and much more to come with maturity.

2009 ORMA TOSCANA- Bordeaux blend; nice wine in really good balance; the taste profile came in mild doses with red and black fruit aided by a streak of spice and coffee and presented in a medium body and delivered in a smooth, soft texture; it has youthful exuberance and easy on the palate tannins; needs time and if in my cellar, it shall have it because it`s worth the wait.

2003 TENUTA SETTE PONTI ORENO TOSCANA- a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sangiovese; along with the Crognolo, I`ve long been a fan of these wines; unfortunately, this bottle did not follow suit; it was way too Bretty which overwhelmed any attributes that tried to seep through.

2007 TUA RITA PERLTAO del BOSCO TOSCANA- the nose offers a generous amount of fresh red cherry/ berry fruit even more so than in the taste; some spicy blueberry comes in by mid palate; the wine is medium bodied and generally overall pleasant.

1993 TENUTA dell`ORNELLAIA “ORNELLAIA” TOSCANA- 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 17% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc; elegance pervades throughout this wonderful bottle; I have to think it`s reached a certain level of maturity that suggests drinking sooner than later; medium body, seamless and even, sophisticated and charming; nice balance an just so pleasing from the nose through the tail.

1988 TENUTA dell`ORNELLAIA “MASSETO” TOSCANA- often hailed as the Le Pin of Italy, this 100% Merlot based wine is such a treat regardless of vintage IMHO; this was the 3rd year it was made and the first vintage I was turned on to and that bottle forever changed my life and all opinions expressed about Merlot from Italy; this was not one of the best bottles; it started out with a bit of funk in the nose which never did totally dissipate, but the wine offered a much better experience once tasted; with time, it seemed to improve and rid itself of some of the initial not so good character; it had a tertiary fruit profile, soft and silky texture and a fairly abbreviated finish; I was happy to just see the bottle.

2010 PETROLO GALATRONA- 100% Merlot; often called the baby Masseto by our group, this bottle was superb; it had lovely violets, chocolate and spiced black cherry, black currant and blackberry fruit, a silky texture and long sustained finish; it was full bodied, serious and yet graceful, full on and yet elegant and in beautiful balance; a good Galatrona and one for storing away and revisiting in about 5 years+.

2000 TUA RITA REDIGAFFI TOSCANA- 100% Merlot; one of my favs over the past few years and frequently appearing in this group whenever we do this wine theme, this bottle offered big time pleasure; the nose was immediately enticing with up front dried cherry, plum and violets billowing out followed by more of a ripe red, blue and black fruit expression with plenty of spices; the mouthfeel was incredibly silky smooth; it was layered with many levels of depth, medium to full bodied and had extended length; great wine and certainly my #1 consideration for WOTN; however, when it came time to vote, I still had the Salicutti on my palate`s mind and went there; the majority of the group got this one as their choice- no problem.

2001 LE MACCHIOLE MESSORIO TOSCANA- 100% Merlot; major oak influences dominate this bottle as I got aromatics of mint, vanilla, wood oak with a slight hint of red and black fruit; the taste profile had more of the same with less fruitiness; the texture was pleasing and the wine being matched up to other Merlots did not stand up as well, of course, we`re talking Masseto, Galatrona and Redigafi, big players in this game.

1995 ROMANO DAL FORNO NETTARE AMATA VENETO- 375ml; the color was a dark amber, the taste had honeyed buckwheat, coffee and clove accented sweetened cranberry served up in a thick, syrupy and almost chewy substance; pretty serious and intense, so much so, a little sip will do ya.

1999 TOMMASO BUSSOLA RECiOTO della VALPOLICELLA Tb- 375ml; blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara and Corvinone; this was enhanced Smith Brothers Cherry Cough Syrup; need to say any more?

2010 ETTORE GERMANO ALTA LANGA BRUT- blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir; when enough was enough and I`m packing up, this came around; pale straw color; it was very dry, with a slight hint of dried green apple; finished a bit musty.

Another great night of excellent wines shared by wine passionate folks, served righteously in the perfect restaurant to compliment our theme and extras. Life continues to be good.

Cheers,
Blake