Advice on day in Saint-Emilion and in Medoc

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
catherine.mccullough
New Member 50 Pts

Advice on day in Saint-Emilion and in Medoc

Post by catherine.mccullough » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:24 am

Jeff and fellow wine lovers,

My husband and I will be driving from Sarlat to Bordeaux on Saturday, July 16. We plan on stopping in Saint-Emillion on our way. We would like to visit one or two Chateau, eat lunch and walk around town. I made a 12:30 reservation at Logis de la Cadene before realizing that Troplong Mondot had a restaurant. We have been offered a tour at Troplong Mondot at 11:00 and I am wondering if we should change our plans and stay and eat there. We have also been offered a tour at Beau-Séjour Bécot at either 11:00 (private) or 2:00 (group). I am thinking we should do both but if the private tour is much preferred that would make a difference (the tour at Troplong Mondot is a group tour).

We will continue to Bordeaux where we will have three nights. We plan to spend Sunday in town and then to visit Chateau on the left bank on Monday.

Our tentative schedule is as follows:

10:00 – Chateau Phelan Segur
12:30 Lunch at Café Lavinal
2:00 – Chateau Lynch-Bages
4:00 – Chateau Prieure-Lichine

It seems that a number of restaurants are closed on Monday, including Cordeillan Bages, Lion d'Or, Le Gare Gourmande. Is Cafe Lavinal our best option?

Thank you for your help!
Catherine

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Advice on day in Saint-Emilion and in Medoc

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi Catherine

These are all good schedules. In St. Emilion, you have picked the two best places to dine! However, as you are going to Troplong Mondot, it is easier and more picturesque to dine at Belles Perdrix, the dining room at Troplong Mondot.

Take private tours when possible. I hope this helps...