Visit some good Chateau in Bordeaux

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
alex.lee
New Member 50 Pts

Visit some good Chateau in Bordeaux

Post by alex.lee » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:04 am

Hi wine connoisseurs, friends who are familiar with Bordeaux,

Anyone can help to connect and recommend which chateau(s) we should visit when my family and I are there in September 16-18, 2016? It is Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and we will take TGV from Paris, so essentially only have Friday afternoon, Saturday whole day, and Sunday morning. I understand some chateaus are closed on Sat/Sun.

Our favourite wines are from Margaux, Pauillac, St Julien (left bank), and Pomerol & St Emilion (right bank). No need to visit all first growth (but 1 or 2 will be nice), we are equally keen on second and third growth.

Anyone who can recommend either a good value wine tour, or a negociant to help us arrange and contact the chateaus will be greatly appreciated. I would imagine we can possibly visit 4-5 chateaus maximum in 2 days.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Alex from Far East (Hong Kong)

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Visit some good Chateau in Bordeaux

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Alex

Thank you for the post and the question. Please read this article on how to visit Bordeaux Chateaux. It will give you all the information you need. If you have other questions, please feel free to post.

http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/win ... -tastings/

alex.lee
New Member 50 Pts

Post by alex.lee » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:55 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I have read the article.

We are likely to stay at Les Sources de Caudalie checking in 16 Sept, checking out 18 Sept; on the left bank of Martillac. We will sure visit Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte which is nearby.

Any suggestion on how best to maximize our time visiting at least 5-6 good chateaus/vineyards across the two days?
We prefer Medoc/left bank, so ideally whole of 17 Sept (Sat) visiting 3 vineyards on the left bank, and on 16 Sept (Fri) afternoon, visiting 2 vineyards on the right bank.

If you can provide a list of good chateaus which are open on Friday afternoon and Saturday that will be greatly appreciated. Also, appreciate if you can recommend a good wine tasting tour which is knowledgeable, able to get us into good chateaus, and reasonably-priced.

Thank you in advance, Jeff.

Alex

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi Alex

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am actually in Bordeaux at the moment.

I am not sure which estates are open Saturday. Your choices are limited, you can try Fonplegade in St. Emilion. As for specific chateaux, honest, my best advice is to request to visit the estates that make the wine you buy. Do not worry about anything else. You will have a much better experience as that will mean something to you on a personal level.