Wine Tasting in Bordeaux next week & STILL haven't booked...

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
danielle.carter-stollerman
New Member 50 Pts

Wine Tasting in Bordeaux next week & STILL haven't booked...

Post by danielle.carter-stollerman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:13 am

Hey Jeff,

We have a group of 8 going to Bordeaux next week for wine tasting and soccer:) We've never been to this part of France and we're very excited but quite behind on our planning. Currently my husband and I live in Naples, Italy and have done tastings through Italy but we LOVE French wine (still newbies in our wine knowledge). Really I just would love help or suggestions on Chateaus to setup tastings with for a 2-3 day stint. Right & Left Bank options. We are staying outside of St. Emilion. We are hoping to purchase wines that are both ready for drinking and bottles that can be shelved for 5-20 yrs. That being said, we also are hoping to spend less than $100/bottle since we'd like to ship home 3-4 cases.

We will be driving ourselves as 2 of us are pregnant and by default the DDs:) Do you have any suggestions of specific chateaus that we can't miss? Or itinerary suggestions based on your knowledge of proximity of each chateau?

I wish we weren't so last minute on this and hoping we haven't ruined our chances at getting into some great venues.

Thanks for any and all your help,
Danielle

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Wine Tasting in Bordeaux next week & STILL haven't booke

Post by Jeff Leve » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:13 am

Hi Danielle

Thanks for the post and congratulations on your soon to be new addition to your family. I think you will be having some problems in Bordeaux. 8 people is a large group and you need appointments for most visits.

You should read this article: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/win ... -tastings/

Are you staying in a nice hotel? If so, they should be able to help at the concierge.

There are numerous places to visit in St. Emilion, but without an appointment, it could be quite difficult.

It can be expensive to buy wine in St. Emilion. The city of Bordeaux would be less expensive for you in most cases.