TN 2003 Montrose

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Jamie Manley
Serious Poster 90 Pts

TN 2003 Montrose

Post by Jamie Manley » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Note to self, do not open any more of your big 03s for at least another 5 years. While thoroughly enjoyable, this is nowhere close to being ready; and I purposely opened this particular bottle as it was the only retail wine store display bottle that I owned. All my others have been stored perfectly. I figured that this bottle may be a bit further down the road. Nope. Rant over, this is a monster of a Bordeaux. A little shy and sinewy on the nose, one still gets notes of charcoal, massive red and black fruit, earth, and some toasty oak. On the palate, this puppy sings and it will hit triple digits one day...many days from now. This wine overwhelms your taste buds with a cascade akin to Angel Falls. Layer after layer of deep dark fruit, clay, cassis, oak, tobacco, graphite, and a hint of pencil. The texture, mouth feel, and balance are exquisite - really in a different league. The color is gorgeous Stanford crimson ( sorry Harvard fans, couldn't resist) with no sign of age at all. Audouzed 10 hours in advance of service. 99 Pts.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: TN 2003 Montrose

Post by Jeff Leve » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi Jamie.. Good to see you here. While I almost always agree with you, I find 2003 Montrose is really delivering the goods today. I love how the wine is showing now. I think it will get better, or at least hope it will, as I have almost 2 cases, but I'm really digging it today. Have you had 2003 Cos lately? It's such a beauty!

Jamie Manley
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Re: TN 2003 Montrose

Post by Jamie Manley » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi Jeff, good to be back, I had to slow down with posting for a while. I agree that a lot of the 03s are very enjoyable right now, I was just looking for a little more of the classic black tea and deep earth that time brings. Different palates, but the same love of wine. Have not had 03 Cos in quite some time. I only have just over half a case, so I am saving those. Cheers Jeff! :smile: