TN 2001 Yquem

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Jamie Manley
Serious Poster 90 Pts

TN 2001 Yquem

Post by Jamie Manley » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Options

6/4/2016 - I wrote: 100 points (Edit)
Bill Parcells has his five Ps (Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.) If he had an 01 Yquem with 24 hours of air, he would have another P (Perfection.) Instantly upon cork extraction the perfume of this great wine wafted...and then I poured a small glass and put the rest in the fridge to visit a day later. I cannot encourage this protocol strongly enough. This was my darkest (in color) 375 from a case, so I pulled it. Medium gold/copper, the flavor profile mimicked the color. This particular bottle was just entering a young phase, moving up from infancy. On the nose, defined notes of caramel and butterscotch, but you are still slayed by the orange rind, botrytis, apricot, Earl Grey, and lanolin. The palate is the show stopper - read my notes from earlier years regarding this wine. Searing intensity on the tongue and palate with a velvet lift. Layer after layer and then a 60 second gravity defying finish. As I have said before, this wine is not light years better than the others, but it does everything that a legend is supposed to, and that makes it perfect. 100 Pts.