So, Jeff, what futures are you buying for yourself?

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

So, Jeff, what futures are you buying for yourself?

Post by Howard Cooper » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:51 am

2014 and 2015. Inquiring minds want to know.

For myself, I bought a bit of 2014 Climens, Ducru and Doisy Daene. In 2015, so far I have gotten just Climens.

Not sure at my age I should be buying any futures (and am more backfilling than doing so), but still thinking.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: So, Jeff, what futures are you buying for yourself?

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 am

Hi Howard...

My wish list is created in part by my age and the amount of wine I already have in my cellar. I did not buy any 2014 Bordeaux. If I was younger, and needed more wine, there are numerous wines from St, Estephe and Pauillac worth buying.

2015 Bordeaux, because it is best in the Right Bank, which need less aging time than the wines of the Medoc offers more choices for me.

The 2015 Bordeaux wines I am considering are:

L'Evangile
Clinet
L'Eglise Clinet
Le Gay
La Violette
Vieux Chateau Certan
Canon
L'If
Troplong Mondot

While I am not a buyer of young Sauternes any longer, (only because I still have cases of 2001 and older sweet wines stacked up in the cellar, if I liked them as much as you do, I'd be all over them. They are the best wines since 2001.

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Howard Cooper » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:24 am

A few months ago I had a 2001 Climens that I thought was spectacular. It is what made me buy the 2015s. Also, the price. It was a good bit more than the 2014 Climens (which was $25 a half bottle), but still at $36 per half bottle, it is a steal in the world of sweeter wines. I tend to buy sweeter wines in half bottles because, after other wines during a nice dinner, it is about all that is necessary (and it will age faster).

I really don't buy that much Sauternes. Most of them don't have enough acidity for me and I prefer sweeter wines from Riesling as a result. However, Barsacs like Climens have the extra acidity and I like them a lot more than most Sauternes. For example, I am really not a big fan of Rieussec or Suduiraut. Of course, I do love d'Yquem. The other Sauternes I like (but not nearly as much as Climens) is Lafaurie-Peyraguey, as it is sort of a cross between a Sauternes and a Barsac.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:26 pm

We are in agreement for the best size for Sauternes. I only buy half bottles as well these days. I have a smattering of full bottles, but they do not get opened all that often. Halves are perfect for 2 people or 6 people. Full bottles are a true commitment.

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Howard Cooper » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Really, I wish I could get a lot more everyday reds in half bottles. A half bottle is perfect for Nancy and me for a simple dinner. When I find good half bottles these days I get them.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Howard... You can order any 2015 red Bordeaux from Macarthurs in half bottles if you purchase a full case. If that's too much, get some of your friends in DC to split a few cases with you.

Justin Izzo
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Justin Izzo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:24 pm

Jeff, been reading the site for a while but this is my first post. I'm beginning to build a collection and am considering buying from the 2015 futures. You listed Right Bank wines above, but I'm wondering if you would recommend Left Bank wines for someone in my position who has a slight preference for the Left Bank. Pessac-Léognan has lots going for it, it would seem from your reviews, and I'm thinking about the SHL, for example. Any other Left Bank wines to recommend? My budget would be $1500/case at most. Thanks!

Justin Izzo
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Justin Izzo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 am

Jeff, I've been consulting the site for a while but this is my first post. I'm wondering what you might recommend from this vintage for someone who likes Right Bank wines well enough but who has a preference for the Left, especially Pauillac and Pessac-Léognan. I'm still building my collection and my budget is $1000-$1500 maximum for a case. Any suggestions of things to check out for someone in my position? I've given thought to the Smith Haut Lafitte and Grand Puy Lacoste, but perhaps it's worth splurging on the Canon instead (since I can't get everything I might want)? Thanks for your thoughts!

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:40 am

Hi Justin

Thanks for the post. Did you read my article with all my 2015 Bordeaux tasting notes? http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/201 ... ge-report/

Lots of choices for wines to buy. If you are skipping 2015 Pomerol and 2015 St. Emilion and focusing on 2015 Left Bank wines, Margaux and Pessac Leognan is the place to be. Before I drop a few names, to get an idea on the style of wines you like, can you let me know some of the chateaux you have enjoyed in the past from previous vintages?

Justin Izzo
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Justin Izzo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:34 am

Thank you, Jeff! Some of my favorites are Lynch Bages, Montrose (have an 03 in my collection and bought a few of the 14s), Cos d'Estournel (got some 14s of this as well), Grand Puy Lacoste, Haut Bailly, and Pape Clément (their 05 is one of my favorites). I'd love any tips you might have. I'm open to any suggestions, and even some Right Bank wines if you think they might be up my alley.
Now I will scour your articles on the 2015 releases!

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:24 am

Justin... For St. Estephe and Pauillac, look for 2014, except for Grand Puy Lacoste which is a really fine wine for a fair price. Batailley is also strong in 2015. Pessac Leognan is just great in 2015 as I mentioned. If you like Haut Bailly, it's just super in 2015 and well worth buying. Malatric Lagraviere, Domaine de Chevalier, Pape Clement and Smith Haut Lafitte are great in 2015 as well.

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Howard Cooper » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:13 am

Jeff Leve wrote:Howard... You can order any 2015 red Bordeaux from Macarthurs in half bottles if you purchase a full case. If that's too much, get some of your friends in DC to split a few cases with you.
They now have some 1/2 bottles on their web site, so I can order them by the bottle. For example, they have Domaine de Chevalier for $32, Giscours for $26, Haut Batailley for $21 (this seems to be the type of wine I would like in half bottle - serious wine, but not real expensive and one that likely can be drunk without waiting 20 years), and Lafon Rochet at $22.

Justin Izzo
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Justin Izzo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:Justin... For St. Estephe and Pauillac, look for 2014, except for Grand Puy Lacoste which is a really fine wine for a fair price. Batailley is also strong in 2015. Pessac Leognan is just great in 2015 as I mentioned. If you like Haut Bailly, it's just super in 2015 and well worth buying. Malatric Lagraviere, Domaine de Chevalier, Pape Clement and Smith Haut Lafitte are great in 2015 as well.
Jeff, thanks so much for the recommendations! Reporting back now: I went with cases of the Haut Bailly and SHL. I also decided to be brave and pick up some Right Bank wines: I got a few bottles of the Clinet and snagged a 6-pack of the Canon. Appreciate the advice and reviews!

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:59 pm

Justin... You scored some really great wines. You will not be sorry. There are loads of wines starting at $25 that are worth buying.