Help finding my BDX compass

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Joseph Wallace
New Member 50 Pts

Help finding my BDX compass

Post by Joseph Wallace » Thu May 05, 2016 4:46 pm

New to this site. I have been lurking for a little bit and reading jeffs notes.

With 2015 futures coming out, and realizing i dont really know all that much about Bordeaux, i thought i would ask a few questions to see if i can find my BDX compass.

My favorite wine is Realm the Bard. Doesnt even matter which vintage. This happens to be a left bank bdx style wine. Ok, but its Napa and Napa aint Bordeaux and vice versa so... If this is my favorite bdx style wine, meaning primarily cab with some merlot and a few other varietals, where do i start in finding what I would like in Bordeaux?

I just purchased a 2000 Chateau Lynch Moussas and was really underwhelmed to say the least. It was just over the hill at 16. DOA. You can see my review on cellartracker but why bother. It was so unappealing that i just now opened a 2001 Pichon Longueville i bought a few years back on winebid. So far, it at least has flavor, some tannin, acid and color to it. Im d canting it right now though.

Below is a screen shot of the Bordeaux that i own, even though most of them i have never tried. A little guidence as to which bottle i should open next would be helpful with the idead that i am still trying to get my compass in order to buy a case or two of the 2015 vintage to lay down for 15 years or more. Hopefully before it turns into flavors of wet horse rump, cat dander and lead pencil shavings. Im aiming for fruit flavors.

Thanks
Attachments
image.png
image.png (190.58 KiB) Viewed 11387 times

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Help finding my BDX compass

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri May 06, 2016 7:13 am

Joseph Wallace wrote:New to this site. I have been lurking for a little bit and reading jeffs notes.

With 2015 futures coming out, and realizing i dont really know all that much about Bordeaux, i thought i would ask a few questions to see if i can find my BDX compass.
Thanks for the post Joseph. I am going to help you brother, but we need to exchange posts on this, to be able to give some tips.

***My favorite wine is Realm the Bard. Doesnt even matter which vintage. This happens to be a left bank bdx style wine. Ok, but its Napa and Napa aint Bordeaux and vice versa so... If this is my favorite bdx style wine, meaning primarily cab with some merlot and a few other varietals, where do i start in finding what I would like in Bordeaux?

Napa and Bordeaux are different. You should look for different qualities in each region. But let's start with this... What are the characteristics that you like about Realm?

***I just purchased a 2000 Chateau Lynch Moussas and was really underwhelmed to say the least.

Lynch Moussas is a fairly, moderate Bordeaux, and not one I would recommend. There are much better choices for Pauillac and from other other appellations.

***i am still trying to get my compass in order to buy a case or two of the 2015 vintage to lay down for 15 years or more.

If I was you, instead of buying 2015 futures, I'd start trying as many different Bordeaux wines in your price range to get an idea of what you like, or not. There are some really great 2015 Bordeaux wines, but you will be a smarter consumer, and better, more experienced wine taster if you try, before you buy, different wines.

From the wines that own, your 2003 Pavie and 2003 Pichon Baron are stunning ! 1-2 hours of decanting will be perfect. You can read recent tasting notes for those wines without leaving this site. Just use the search boxes inside the grapes, close to the top of screen. The article search will tell you about each chateau. Do not use the vintage for the article search, just the name.

2008 Ducru Beaucaillou and 2008 Palmer are really good wines. They need 2-3 hours in the decanter. Very elegant, charming, Bordeaux.

2009 Leoville Barton, 2010 Cantermerle and 2010 d'Issan are all really strong. They also need 2-3 hours in the decanter.

I'll know more once you tell me what you like in Realm and the price point you want to pay. I am sure I can help you get the right wines to taste.

Joseph Wallace
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Joseph Wallace » Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 am

Well, i like above average amount of fruit. Hopefully both red and black. Not so much that its a massive fruit bomb but i dont want to have to go searching for it. I like some oak and vanilla. Again, lets not overoak anything here. Some is good but i dont want to be chewing on bark. Any aroma or flavor of cocoa, coffee, creme brulee is good. Should hit me on my mid pallate and a touch of spice is fine with as long a finish as possible. Hedonistic....yes but not so bombastic that you arent sure of what you just tasted. High achohal is fine but i would be fine bringing it down into the 13% area.

What i dont want is herbal or vegetable medlies dominating anything i drink. No charcoal or ash flavors. Very mild cigar box or cedar is ok but should be secondary if not even deeper and supple on the beginning of the finish. Wet horse hair or saddle bag is a no go.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri May 06, 2016 2:20 pm

OK, I get the idea. You will be a vintage centric buyer. The vintage will provide you with the wines style and characteristics you seek. I am too, so you are in good shape. One last question, what is your price point? I can help at all ends of the price point scale, but before I start tossing out names, I need to know where your comfort zone and sweet spot is at.

All the wines I'll suggest are wines I know well, (So you can read tasting notes) and I probably have them in my cellar as well.

Joseph Wallace
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Joseph Wallace » Fri May 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Jeff, i am hoping that you have actually had the Realm Bard. To have it is to live it. I am drinking the 2008 tonight and i am just overwhelmed by it. Its just perfect. If i could i would buy 2 cases each year but i am not allocated that much. It costs about $105 per bottle so is there a bdx that is at this price range that is this good. I hope so.
Last edited by Joseph Wallace on Sat May 07, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Sat May 07, 2016 7:34 am

I am not sure what is available to you locally. But if you are willing to look at WIne-Searcher, start with any wines on this list...

In 2012, look for Chateau Clinet and Troplong Mondot. 2012 Beausejour Duffau is also a winner, but it will be a bit different for you. The Clinet and Troplong are Rockstar juice for about $80. There are loads of other choices. But this is your early morning, pre espresso response.

The following are all from 2009.... They should be in, close to, or even under your price range. You can also try 2010 and 2012 for these wines, but the 2009 will have more of what you seek.

Malescot St. Exupery, Troplong Mondot, Clos Fourtet, Clos St. Martin, Croix de Labrie, Faugeres, Les Grandes Murailles, Fleur Cardinale. If it matters, I own most of those wines in my cellar. With the exception of Malescot, which is from Margaux, they are all from St. Emilion.

For about $25, look for 2009, 2010 or 2012 Vieille Cure, La Dauphine, Fontenil, Dalem, Villars, Domaine du Bouscat Les Portes de L'Am or d’Aiguilhe. Do not think because those wines are cheap, they are not stellar. They are.

Use the article search function for any of those names to see details on the property and the estate.

Let me know what you buy and what you think of the wines.

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Howard Cooper » Sat May 21, 2016 1:42 pm

Joseph Wallace wrote:Jeff, i am hoping that you have actually had the Realm Bard. To have it is to live it. I am drinking the 2008 tonight and i am just overwhelmed by it. Its just perfect. If i could i would buy 2 cases each year but i am not allocated that much. It costs about $105 per bottle so is there a bdx that is at this price range that is this good. I hope so.
See if you can find 2001 Ducru. I bought some a little over a year ago for around that price. Find mature wines and figure out what you like before buying futures IMHO