First Look at 2015 Bordeaux Futures.

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

First Look at 2015 Bordeaux Futures.

Post by rashcar » Mon May 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Jeff, this is what a store that I buy from sent me. wanted to ask your opinion of their analysis of the vintage.
"2015 Bordeaux Futures: A First Look
Today sees our first offerings of the 2015 Bordeaux Futures campaign, and thus far we have a number of very good values to consider. More on those below, but first a short summary of the vintage.

As always, weather conditions determined the vintage characteristics, and in 2015 Merlot was the unqualified success story as the clay soils in which it thrives retained water very well during the dry early part of the season, and it had reached optimum ripeness everywhere before the rains came around harvest. Overall 2015 is one of the hottest vintages on record; warm early-season weather and a dry June and July caused the grapes on the vines to produce thick skins and therefore have a high proportion of skins to juice, before cooler weather and some rain arrived in August to give the vines some relief. This means that the wines have very rich, succulent and seductive fruit profiles, and the skins have given the wines a fantastic structure which should ensure very good ageing potential. For the most part the tannins come across as being very silky (a description we heard repeatedly by all winemakers) - which helps to make 2015 an relatively easy vintage to taste at this early stage.

A short but concentrated period of rain hit the left bank in mid-September right around harvest time, and in general the northernmost appellations received the most, with the Haut-Medoc and St-Estephe being worst affected and Margaux in the south being remaining pretty dry. Consequently consistency on the left bank does vary a bit more than it does on the right bank, where chateaux did not have the same issue as most of the Merlot had already been harvested by the time the rain arrived.

On the left bank Margaux and Pessac-Leognan undoubtedly produced the highest-quality wines across the board, with very fine efforts being made at all price points. Going further north, St-Julien was also very good indeed, but as you move into Pauillac and St-Estephe the wines have a firmer structure and slightly harder edges and inconsistency between chateaux does become a much more common theme. Of course, those chateaux who are able to select more strictly, and who have greater technology at their disposal, were able to overcome the difficulties at harvest to produce stunning wines, but it will be necessary to choose a bit more carefully when buying wines from these appellations.

In general quality levels on the right bank were more consistent for the weather-related reasons outlined above, with Pomerol being the standout appellation where the best wines achieved a perfect harmony of ripe fruit and elegant tannin ("a sexy classic" as Denis Durantou at L'Eglise Clinet described it to us). St-Emilion did produce some very fine wines indeed, but there is a tendency towards overly-extracted fruit at a number of chateaux; the best really are quite remarkable though, and have wonderfully creamy textures.

The dry whites are a little less successful than the reds, in my opinion. At this early stage they are a little weightier and have more flesh than usual, with ripe fruit and slightly lower acidity levels being the main characteristics. Many good wines are available and they will offer fantastic near and medium-term drinking (including our perennial favorite, Domaine de Chevalier) but I do not necessarily think that it will be a vintage for long-term cellaring due to the lower levels of acidity. The one significant exception to this (for me) is the Pavillon Blanc de Margaux.

The wines of Sauternes and Barsac are, in general, very good to excellent. Again our feeling was that there are some issues with consistency, with some chateaux producing wines which are extremely rich but without the necessary balancing acidity, but the majority of wines have a fantastic vibrancy, freshness and richness to them.

To start we'd like to show you a list of the highlights of the releases to date. The left-bank classed growths are yet to release their prices, and may not for a little while (though we hope to be proved wrong), and the story is the same with the main chateaux on the right bank - with the exception of Chateau Gazin in Pomerol - which is a quite lovely bottling in 2015, with plenty of coiled energy and an incredible finish.

There are a number of excellent values available at the moment, however. As we mentioned above many superb wines were made in Margaux and Pessac-Leognan at all levels, and a couple of our favorite wines in the under $30/btl category are now on the market: Chateaux Labegorce and Siran. Labegorce is intensely perfumed with perfectly ripe fruit and very elegant tannins, while Siran is finessed, balanced and already approachable.

Several of the top chateaux in Sauternes/Barsac are already out, with Coutet (crackling acidity, pinpoint focus, perfect balance, very long finish), Guiraud (rich fruit, broad and long with good acidity), Doisy Daene (pure, refined and perfectly balanced) and Lafaurie Peyraguey (honey, citrus, long and vibrant finish) being the best on offer so far."

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: First Look at 2015 Bordeaux Futures.

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon May 02, 2016 4:41 pm

Looks good to me. What store is this from?

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Mon May 02, 2016 7:53 pm

It's Flickinger Wines!

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Mon May 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Jeff, do you recommend I buy some 2015 Bordeaux that would arrive to me in 2018? Thanks, Robbie Ashcar.

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Mon May 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Jeff, one more point please. I am not able to copy and paste their list of wine offers with the dollar amount. Maybe it is by design to keep people from selling wine on your site which is understanble. I would like the opportunity to forward you the private offering if I had your email. That way with your experience you can recommend some. Thanks, Robbie Ashcar.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Tue May 03, 2016 11:28 am

rashcar wrote:Jeff, do you recommend I buy some 2015 Bordeaux that would arrive to me in 2018? Thanks, Robbie Ashcar.
It depends on the wine and the price. But some wines have potential to me for sure..... It would be on a case by case basis. You would need to ask me about each wine.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Tue May 03, 2016 11:32 am

rashcar wrote:Jeff, one more point please. I am not able to copy and paste their list of wine offers with the dollar amount. Maybe it is by design to keep people from selling wine on your site which is understanble. I would like the opportunity to forward you the private offering if I had your email. That way with your experience you can recommend some. Thanks, Robbie Ashcar.
If it is text, you should be able to copy and paste. However, I finally fixed a few technical issues on this part of the site today. Thanks in part to you and this post. You should be able to save an image and easily upload it as an attachment as well. But copy and paste should work.

I just copied the text in this post and pasted it as it test.

I have no problem letting you, or stores post offers with prices here. Happy to help whenever possible....

Michael Allen
Contributor 85 Pts

Post by Michael Allen » Sun May 15, 2016 10:43 am

Thank you for all the tasting notes and buying tips for 2015 Bordeaux. I am hot to trot on some of the 2015 Pomerol wines you waxed and raved about.