Under $100 excellent PQR Red Wine

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Under $100 excellent PQR Red Wine

Post by rashcar » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello, thanks to Jeff Leve for guiding me to come here. Very informative and educational. So basically my question to Jeff or anyone is that I have a cellar that I finished building 4 months ago. I was simply asking if anyone have had any outstanding red wine lately that not only the taste and nose were delightful but also the price.

Thanks again,

Robbie Ashcar

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Under $100 excellent PQR Red Wine

Post by Jeff Leve » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:13 am

Hi Rob

Thanks for the post and question. What wines have you had recently that you liked?

In that price range there is a massive array of wines to choose from. Personally, I look to Bordeaux and Chateauneuf du Pape.

For young wines, 2012 offers stunning wines at under your $100 price range from all appellations. In Chateauneuf du Pape, I like the 2012 wines, but 2010 and 2009 are even better and it is hard to spend that type of money.

Please let me know a few wines you have enjoyed and one you did not, and I'll set you up with suggestions based on the style of those wines.

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks Jeff for your reply and willingness to recommend. I am fairly new to the wine world. Here are some wine I tried and liked:

2004 Cardinale
2010 MastroJanni Brunello(loved it on the second day)
2012 Cakebread Dancing Bears
2004 La Fiorita Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
2002 Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon Réserve Spéciale
2000 and other vintages of Joseph Phelps Insignia
2012 Bacio Divino Cabernet Sauvignon Janzen Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper Vineyard
2005 Inglenook / Rubicon Estate / Niebaum-Coppola Black and Blue Napa Valley Premiere

On the less expensive side

2011 ZD Wines Cabernet Sauvignon
2013 The Prisoner

So I am trying to find my way in the wine world and my palate.

Thanks again,

Robbie Ashcar

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Thanks Jeff for your reply and willingness to recommend. I am fairly new to the wine world. Here are some wine I tried and liked:

2004 Cardinale
2012 Bacio Divino Cabernet Sauvignon Janzen Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper Vineyard
2005 Inglenook / Rubicon Estate / Niebaum-Coppola Black and Blue Napa Valley Premiere

2013 The Prisoner

Thanks again,

Robbie Ashcar

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:37 am

Hi Robbie

Here's a few ideas for you for QPR Bordeaux wines. In the Left Bank, look for:

Grand Puy Lacoste, Lafon Rochet, Le Crock, Branaire Ducru, Gloria, Malescot St, Exupery, La Lagune, Cantemerle, Haut Bergey, Poujeaux, Senejac, Branas Grand Poujeaux, Cambon le Pelouse, Tronquoy-Lalande, Deyrem Valentin, Charmail and Malartic Lagraviere.

Those are are really great examples of value Bordeaux wines from the Left Bank. There are more, but that's a good place to start. You can read details on any or all o those wines on this site. Use the article search box.

I think you can even buy wines with bottle age from most or all of these producers for under $100 and recent vintages of course range from less to a lot less! Do you know these wines?

I can also put together a list of wines for less money from the Right Bank too. Want some tips from there as well?

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Thank you Jeff so much. I will research the market on the bottles you suggested. I see Roger Sabon CDP Le Secret on WTSO for $99! Do you like it? I will keep you posted. Any Italians and/or Napa Cabs? You are the best. Thanks again. Robbie Ashcar

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:49 am

Bro, I have no tips for you from Italy. And frankly, while I love many California wines, it is not where I look to find value wines. I can also help with Bordeaux value wines from various Right Bank appellations including St. Emilion, which is where the majority of the great value wines are found.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of Bordeaux wines from the top estates are priced for the quality of the vintage. So, you can buy many, famous chateaux from years like 2012, 2008 and 2004 for attractive prices. There are other well priced vintages with bottle age as well.

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks Jeff. I found and bought several bottles of your list of recommendations.
2005 Chateau Branaire-Ducru
2009 Branaire-Ducru
2009 Grand-Puy-Lacoste
2010 Château Tronquoy-Lalande

Unfortunately, I will not receive them until fall as temperatures in Atlanta has risen already. Thanks again for your time and expertise. Cheers. Robbie

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Those are all nice wines! But buy one of each just to see if you like them. If it was me, have them overnighted, or 2 day air to you, the fall is too long to wait. Honest, I would do that for me. It is warm for you, but not hot.

rashcar
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by rashcar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:18 am

I am overnighting everything in. Thanks. One more question Jeff please. How long do I have to wait on bottle after shipping(bottle shock)?

Cheers,

Robbie Ashcar

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:24 am

Give it a week, that should be ample. Also, you might be interested in the article we just published on 2015 Bordeaux Value wines. http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/201 ... pellations

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Howard Cooper » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:30 am

rashcar wrote:Thanks Jeff for your reply and willingness to recommend. I am fairly new to the wine world. Here are some wine I tried and liked:

2004 Cardinale

2013 The Prisoner

Thanks again,

Robbie Ashcar
For good values in California Cabernet, try Ridge Estate (widely available) and Stony Hill (only available on their web site, I believe).

If you want a great value in Italian wines, try Produttori del Barbaresco. They make more expensive single-vineyard Barbarescos, but their basic Barbaresco is about $30 and is a steal for the price.