barrel tasting at en primeur

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
david newman
New Member 50 Pts

barrel tasting at en primeur

Post by david newman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Hi Jeff,

After reading that Cheval Blanc, one of my favorite wines (especially the 2010) will be vinifying all of their grapes into one wine, I started to wonder what barrels they have professional tasters taste at en primeur. Will they have you taste barrels that have already been mixed to the final percentage of varietals? only the best barrels based on the taste of the taster? etc. I guess what I am asking is if there is any manipulation of the tasting experience?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: barrel tasting at en primeur

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:22 am

I started to wonder what barrels they have professional tasters taste at en primeur. Will they have you taste barrels that have already been mixed to the final percentage of varietals? only the best barrels based on the taste of the taster? etc. I guess what I am asking is if there is any manipulation of the tasting experience?

In the left bank the blends are almost always finished. That is not the case with the Right Bank. Samples are almost always prepared in advance in Bordeaux. You seldom taste from barrel. I am sure they pick their best barrels for tasters as well.

david newman
New Member 50 Pts

Re: barrel tasting at en primeur

Post by david newman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:34 pm

OK. So all I can do is trust you Jeff. Good luck with the tastings.