Dinner w/ older Williams Selyem Pinots and the winemaker

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Blake Brown
Needs a Day Job 95 Pts

Dinner w/ older Williams Selyem Pinots and the winemaker

Post by Blake Brown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:57 pm

A recent dinner at home with our dear friends, Burt & Rebecca Williams featured some great Pinot Noir, all but one made by Burt and that one was made by his son

After a fine bubbly, we sat down for a wonderful home cooked meal and enjoyed some of those fine wines.

MV FRANCK BONVILLE EXTRA BRUT BLANC de BLANC- as stated on the back label and shown in the picture, this was made from 2009 Grand Cru fruit, aged 4 years on the lees with a dosage of 2.5 grams per liter [as opposed to 7 g/L on the vintage releases]; it was a treat; with bright acidity, it was round and complex with amazing citrus flavored puff pastry notes that sang loud and clear all the way through; it seemed to expand once on the palate and just grabbed and held on for a complete experience.

1997 WILLIAMS SELYEM RIVERBLOCK VINEYARD RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR- from the Rochioli Vineyard [not shown on the label until after the sale in early 98`], this was a gem and another consistent example of the age worthy, high quality wines Brut crafted; as he has often stated, “ I made all of my wines the same”; I agree; they were all stellar; I had just had the 95` Riverblock a couple of weeks ago and looked forward to comparing this to that one; similar, it had wonderful fruitiness with cinnamon, spiced red cherries, but much more complexity and depth with black cherry and plum coming in; it also was much more fuller in body and sustained the fruit profile longer throughout an extended finish; this vineyard was now 8 years old which was demonstrated by more mature fruit profile; this was a great, balanced wine that promises to go on for another few years before peaking; I`ll track my remaining few bottles judiciously.

2000 SEVEN LIONS WINERY HELIO DORO BLOCK BUENA TIERRA VINEYARD RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR- this vineyard was planted in 1978 and discovered by Burt`s son Fred, now deceased, who made the wine as well and it has sparkled on its own as well as in the company of some of the finer wines from Burt; it had nice complexity and in general, a somewhat darker fruit profile, it was full bodied with a good mouthfeel and long finish; it kept on improving in the glass and probably could have been enhanced by decanting a few minutes ahead of pouring; I`ve had many a bottle and all have been consistently very good; Burt`s daughter, Margi [Brogan Cellars] and Nick Stez [Woodenhead Vintners] also have made fine Pinot Noir from this vineyard and block.

1994 WILLIAMS SELYEM SONOMA COAST PINOT NOIR- one of the most amazing Pinot Noir I`ve had from anyone; this bottle was magnificent; from the nose through the tail, it shined and just kept on giving and giving; the aromatics were inundated with Asian spices with red cherry and raspberry notes which continued on and was joined by a mouthful of Asian spicy, cinnamon accented white cherries; the weight was perfect= medium+, the texture was soft and smooth and it stayed the course for a long finish; it was in perfect balance and harmony; I`ve used most of these superlatives for Burt`s bottlings of Summa, Precious Mountain, Rochioli, Allen and the like; this hit all of the right spots at the right time and left us all in wonder and with the unspoken, but vibrated consensus, It does not get much better than this.

A stellar evening.

Cheers,
Blake