Red Wine from 1986

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
marcnutt1983
New Member 50 Pts

Red Wine from 1986

Post by marcnutt1983 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:51 am

Dear All,

I am looking for a great Red Wine from 1986 for a 30th Birthday present.

I know very little about wine and would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback. Currently I have been recommended - Chateau Batailley, 1986, Chateau Cissac, 1986, Chateau Cissac, 1986 Medoc, Cru Bourgeois and Clos du Clocher, 1986 - Pomerol.

Keen to find a interesting wine that my partner would love.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your suggestions.

Regards,

Marc

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Red Wine from 1986

Post by Jeff Leve » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Marc

Thank you for your post. Personally, I would not buy any of those wines. The chances they will offer good drinking at 30 years of age is quite small.

To better help you, may I please ask your budget for a bottle of 1986 Bordeaux wine?

You can use the article search to read about either the 1986 Bordeaux vintage, or read an article on the best wines for the money from 1986 as well. Once I know your budget, I will definitely try my best to come up with suggestions for you on the best wines to buy that should still be good.

marcnutt1983
New Member 50 Pts

Post by marcnutt1983 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:35 am

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was looking at spending between £100 - £200 as I wanted to make sure it was a good quality and would be a very nice present.

I am open to other ideas if Bordeaux Wines are not ideal. My partner likes most red wines. Just hoping to find something she will enjoy.

Regards,

Marc

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:05 am

OK Marc, here is the good news and the bad news.

On the good news side, that is more than enough money to buy a really good bottle of 1986 Bordeaux.

For the bad news, you need to find a bottle from a merchant in the UK that sells single bottles and that can guarantee good provenance, IE, storage. Bottles in poor shape will offer a poor tasting experience.

You should read this article: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/win ... ips-wines/

In your price range, (I think) but close to the top of your range is 1986 Gruaud Larose. It's a stunning wine. There are others, but 1986 is a tricky year. On the bright side, many wines are long lived. On the not so bright side, most of the wines are hard and charmless, which does not make for a good experience.

Look around, read my site and feel free to ask more questions that will help you purchase a really nice, 30 year old bottle of wine.

marcnutt1983
New Member 50 Pts

Post by marcnutt1983 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Dear Jeff,

I have looked into this wine - 1986 Château Gruaud Larose as recommended by yourself and the comments made whilst reading on the website.

I have seen the price at around £100 per bottle.

How can I check the following information (guarantee good provenance, IE, storage)? Will the vendors be able to tell me are is there a possibility they will lie to try and get a sale?

Marc

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:21 pm

marcnutt1983 wrote:How can I check the following information (guarantee good provenance, IE, storage)? Will the vendors be able to tell me are is there a possibility they will lie to try and get a sale?
Peter Wylie is a well known merchant that is probably close to you. Pay the extra money and buy the bottle with the highest fill, in the best condition. Do not worry about the label. Stained, humidity damaged labels are fine. And they bring the price down too. But spend the extra money and get the bottle in the best shape. It does you no good to look forward to a special treat with an older Bordeaux wine then have the wine be moderate to poor. They will be honest with you. I've bought from them in the past.

You can post a picture if you like. Let me know how it turns out for you.