2003 Cos d'Estournel

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Todd Spooner
New Member 50 Pts

2003 Cos d'Estournel

Post by Todd Spooner » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Popped one of these over the Thanksgiving weekend expecting to be treated to a fabulous drink. But the wine was totally flat and lifeless; tasted like a $10 wine that you've kept in the cellar too long.
I'd purchased a 6 of the wine and sold 3 to a good friend who popped one less than a year ago. He reported the wine to be "amazing".
I suppose I had a bad bottle, but what was the culprit? Storage conditions have been ideal.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: 2003 Cos d'Estournel

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi Todd

Good to see you posting. Interestingly, I tasted the 2003 Cos d'Estournel a few weeks ago. I thought I had already entered a tasting note earlier this year and went back to read it, to respond to your post. I found I had not added a recent note and so this was a good reminder.

You can read my all my tasting notes for 2003 Cos d'Estournel here: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... destournel

All wine appreciation is personal taste. You might not like the wine. But based on my recent tasting note, and numerous previous tasting notes for 2003 Cos d'Estournel, I imagine your bottle was heat damaged. What did the cork look like?

Todd Spooner
New Member 50 Pts

Re: 2003 Cos d'Estournel

Post by Todd Spooner » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey Jeff, thanks for the feeback. The cork was perfect as was the bottle on the whole. And I can't see at what point it would have undergone heat damage, but I guess anything is possible. I was expecting great things after a) my friend raved about it and b) I had an '03 Pontet Canet a few months ago that was terrific. This bottle of wine definitely did not fit the description of your tasting note.