Romagnashire, a light taste of my land.

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Giovani Solarolig
New Member 50 Pts

Romagnashire, a light taste of my land.

Post by Giovani Solarolig » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 am

The scenary
Despite what Tuscany winegrowers, our strong competitor, could think, Romagna is the land of sangiovese. This grapes are grown on over 70% of the sub-regional wine growing area, even though the only DOCG (Italian wines classification) label is a white Albana di Romagna, which was recognized by decree in 1987. Thanks to the composition of the local soil and the proximity of the sea, which contributes to a favourable climate with mild summers, colder winters and good diurnal range, the wines produced here, show great qualities and a significant improvement potential. Among the historical species of grape, the most famous one is certainly Sangiovese, a vine from which great wines are obtained in Romagna, all guaranteed by the DOC Sangiovese di Romagna label. Another famous wine of this area is Albana, which also includes the DOC Romagna Albana Sparkling wines. And then there are the other doc label like Pagadebit, Trebbiano and Cagnina, as well the four doc labels of Faenza hills, Rimini hills, Imola and Central Romagna hills. One more the doc Bosco Eliceo label produced in the land surrounding the mouth of the river po. During the last ten years were discovered some local ancient variety like centesimino and longanesi grapes. [attachment=2:32ddl989]Bertinoro_vigneti.jpg[/attachment:32ddl989]
The areas
Inside the borders of Romagna viticultural area, there are many kinds of sub-area. Imagine to divide our region in two parts by via Emilia. Via Emilia is an ancient road which run from north-west to south-east dividing the southern hilly region from the northern flat. Close and parallel to via Emilia there’s Appennini ridge so many valley are deployed following the line south-west to north-east. That’s a very confusional situation but, at the same time, the condition to obtain perfect grapes are ensured. The northern and fresh winds which blow through the valleys allow the sanity of grapes. In a very coarse way, we could count 11 different and specific soils from which we get our richness in wine styling. [attachment=1:32ddl989]Modern_Vigneros.jpg[/attachment:32ddl989]
Without being too much writing about the ground, and just take notes only of the wines, we list the following characteristics: Rimini and surrounding areas, which includes Montefeltro’hills, take advantage from the proximity of the sea, gives red wines fully elegant with a devoloped fruity component. So the taste result easy and immediately. Cabernet Sauvignon grows up here very well. Also there are a good Rebola, a native white wine with a strong personality. The sangiovese here has a lot of fruit, ripe tannins and alcohol are often abundant.[attachment=0:32ddl989]i-vigneti-nelle-colline-di-san-patrignano.jpg[/attachment:32ddl989]
Cesena, Forlì and Castrocaro: Probably the most important area for the Sangiovese. Here we have the best wine producers that has recently improved their vineyards and cellaring. The red wines produced here are robust, with a lot of tannins and great depth. Faenza, Imola and CastelBologense are historic areas, with a particular and wide range of expressions. The reds are powerful and could aged a very long time.
This area also produced a very famous botrytized wines: Albana di Romagna Passito Scacco Matto.
That’s a light intgroduction to Romagna areas, waiting to post here some tasting notes. Bye Bye.
Giovanni Solaroli from Faenza[attachment=2:32ddl989]Bertinoro_vigneti.jpg[/attachment:32ddl989]

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Romagnashire, a light taste of my land.

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am

Thank you Giovanni. The artcles and pictures look great!

Giovani Solarolig
New Member 50 Pts

Re: Romagnashire, a light taste of my land.

Post by Giovani Solarolig » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Jeff, thanks a lot. How can i arrange pictures round the text? It would be better....