Wine Sold By Glass

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Barry Gryb
New Member 50 Pts

Wine Sold By Glass

Post by Barry Gryb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Could anyone please let me know if it is considered a faux pas to ask a waiter, when ordering a wine offered for sale by the glass, to have the wine poured at the table so the guest (me) can see that the wine being poured is the one that was ordered? I had a conversation with a waiter at a trattoria in Milan this summer who did bring out the bottle (without me having to ask). It was his opinion that bringing out the bottle should always be done as a respect to the guest and standard etiquette. This was the first time for me that anyone has ever brought the bottle out for pouring. Opinion? Thank you.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Wine Sold By Glass

Post by Jeff Leve » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Barry Gryb wrote:Could anyone please let me know if it is considered a faux pas to ask a waiter, when ordering a wine offered for sale by the glass, to have the wine poured at the table so the guest (me) can see that the wine being poured is the one that was ordered? I had a conversation with a waiter at a trattoria in Milan this summer who did bring out the bottle (without me having to ask). It was his opinion that bringing out the bottle should always be done as a respect to the guest and standard etiquette. This was the first time for me that anyone has ever brought the bottle out for pouring. Opinion? Thank you.
Hi Barry

Thank you for your posts. I would think that it is standard practice to see the wine poured from the bottle into the glass. However, in small European cities, it is common for wines to served in a carafe instead of the bottle, depending on the wine and the restaurant.

Barry Gryb
New Member 50 Pts

Re: Wine Sold By Glass

Post by Barry Gryb » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 am

Thank you, Jeff. I believe you are right in saying the bottle should be shown when purchasing by the glass. I live in London, Canada and I have yet to see anyone do this here.