Spontaneous Trip to Bordeaux. Still Possible?

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
daniel.hurwit
New Member 50 Pts

Spontaneous Trip to Bordeaux. Still Possible?

Post by daniel.hurwit » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Greetings!

I am visiting my girlfriend in Montpellier -- she is here for the year as a researcher -- and we have decided to take a spontaneous road trip to Bordeaux.

Renting a car, finding places to stay -- these were all quite easy. However, everything I have found about visiting vineyards indicates that much more planning is necessary.

So I ask all of you kind folks out there: Today is Monday, 26 October 2015. I will be in Bordeaux on Thursday and Friday of this week! What is the best way to have a true Bordeaux vineyard experience? We are both wine lovers -- but we are young and perhaps naive and have never embarked on a wine expedition before!

All help and expedience is unbelievably appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Spontaneous Trip to Bordeaux. Still Possible?

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Thank you for the post Dan. The truth is, it will be very difficult to find chateau that will receive you for a visit without notice. On the bright side, your GF is going to be in Montpellier, France for a year, so you will have future opportunities to visit.

If you're staying at a nice hotel, with a conceriege, you can ask them to help with visits. Else, you can show up and see what happens. Perhaps you will get lucky.

For future visits, read this article, it will help you arrange your next trip to Bordeaux, if you have a little notice. http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/win ... -tastings/

It's a beautiful place. If you're open to just driving, traveling up the main highways lets you see many of the great chateaux.

If you have other questions, please feel free to ask...