Bordeaux lists at Troisgros and Taillevent

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
M Albert Bouffard
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Bordeaux lists at Troisgros and Taillevent

Post by M Albert Bouffard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Anybody had experience w the Bordeaux selections at either of these places recently?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Bordeaux lists at Troisgros and Taillevent

Post by Jeff Leve » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 am

M Albert Bouffard wrote:Anybody had experience w the Bordeaux selections at either of these places recently?
Troisgros is at the top of my bucket list for France. I think the list is really focused on Burgundy. That always surprises me because it's so close to the Rhone.... Taillevent is very strong on Bordeaux. For some odd reason, if it matters in your planning, Taillevent is closed Saturday nights, if I recall correctly.

M Albert Bouffard
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by M Albert Bouffard » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Yeah Taillevent is closed on the weekends. They have the best by the glass list I've ever seen. Last time, we drank Deutz -> 99 Leflaive Bienvenues Batard -> 1998 Haut Brion. And the prices were fair. Like a moth to the flame...

I've heard the same about Troisgros, though I plan on cruising the list for Rayas too. But they also do have old Bordeaux - I'm not sure how sanely it's priced though; Burg/Rhone generally seem to be much cheaper in France than Bdx.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:44 am

Not having been to Troisgros, I am only going on what I hear. I think the two best lists to find great Rhones, although for the most part, they are on the young side are:

Beaugraviere in Mondragon, not far from Chateauneuf du Pape and Hotel Pic in Valance, which is almost in the middle of Cote Rotie and Hermitage, although it's closer to Hermitage.

I've eaten and stayed at both places.

M Albert Bouffard
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by M Albert Bouffard » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:37 am

I think my next trip to France is going to start in Lyon for Troisgros, move south to Valence for Pic, then keep going down to Avignon and maybe end up in Bordeaux. I don't know a lot about Rhone - any domaines you'd recommend as a good intro?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:30 pm

M Albert Bouffard wrote:I don't know a lot about Rhone - any domaines you'd recommend as a good intro?
Marc... I think I have very strong pages on my site for the wines of the Rhone Valley. They are are not at the level of the Bordeaux info, but they are very rich in content. I cover almost 200 Rhone wines now! So, the following suggestions should keep you busy for a while.

Why not spend a few minutes looking at the following pages for the wines of the Northern Rhone, and then use the links to Cote Rotie and Hermitage: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/nor ... hermitage/

I have full detailed profiles on all the top domaines, with tasting notes for Cote Rotie and Hermitage.

For the Southern Rhone, you can either read everything you ever wanted to know about Chateauneuf du Pape With links to almost 150 different wineries and all the details you need about Chateauneuf du Pape.. http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/rho ... -profiles/

Or if you just want a more general, down and dirty, but good overview of the entire Southern Rhone, read this page: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/rho ... 5-regions/

Of course, feel free to ask any questions you want to know after you've checked those pages out a bit... But they should give you all the information you need to get going.

M Albert Bouffard
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by M Albert Bouffard » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:34 pm

Good man! Thanks Jeff.