Best Wine Related Trade Show/Event For Sellers

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Michael OBrien
New Member 50 Pts

Best Wine Related Trade Show/Event For Sellers

Post by Michael OBrien » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:11 pm

I bought a product and somehow got involved. Many of you have a great deal of experience attending wine trade shows and wine events both in the U.S. and abroad. I am trying to help a relatively new, small business spend its resources wisely by selecting a very few events to attend that offer excellent opportunities to present and sell their product.

The product is a built for purpose wine suitcase some of you may be familiar with - The VinGardeValise http://vingardevalise.com/. The best possible events will have a large number of producers and consumers in attendance. The case is already being sold by several producers in Napa and at Total Wine among others. People who travel with wine,wineries, and people in the wine trade are the primary markets.

I would appreciate any insight and recommendations you might have about which events you think are worth investigating. WOPN seems to be one of those events; possibly ZAP but I am sure there are others.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Best Wine Related Trade Show/Event For Sellers

Post by Jeff Leve » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for the posts Michael. I wish I could help you. But I seldom attend that many trade events. I should probably try and get to more of them.

Michael OBrien
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Michael OBrien » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:40 pm

That makes two of us Jeff. I just thought maybe some on the board have attended or even exhibited at some.

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:18 pm

As I imagine you're more interested in promoting your own product, I'm not sure that is the best environment for you anyway as the focus from consumers at those shows is to taste wine and hang with friends and for the producers, they are interested in pouring their wine and getting the word out. I'd think you're better off try to get your product into catalogs and stores and in front of people on a one on one basis. Best of luck with it.

Michael OBrien
New Member 50 Pts

Post by Michael OBrien » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks Jeff. Multi-channel approach. We would not do more than two or three major events anyway. We already sell to some wineries like Joseph Phelps, Ferrari-Carano, Clos du Val, Mondavi, and others but having the opportunity to have 200 more wineries in the room simplifies contact. As for consumers, it's a matter of making an impression at the Grand Tastings. A couple of cases getting auctioned off with a magnum of wine will also draw some attention.

That said, we are in Total Wine already and our product will soon be offered by IWA. eBags will be offering the case soon as well. The case is also in the UK and France.

Luckily the break-even on a major event is pretty low in total number of cases. Mostly we want to get more eyes on the actual case. Believe it or not, we have inquiries from people from other countries who want to represent us because the saw the case "in the flesh" so to speak when they were in U.S. They all seem to stop at Total Wine when they are in the U.S.

Thanks