Honeymoon in Bordeaux - Questions

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
Alvaro Arnal
New Member 50 Pts

Honeymoon in Bordeaux - Questions

Post by Alvaro Arnal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi everyone- this is my first post here. I'm really glad I found this site; it's already been a wealth of information and inspiration!

My fiancee and I are getting married in July 2016 and we are honeymooning in San Sebastian from the US for 3 weeks with a goal of spending time in Rioja (we're both huge fans of tempranillo and Spanish wine/food/culture). Since we'll be so close we'd like to spend time in Bordeaux as well, as it's a hugely important region for wine-making and it looks absolutely stunning. We're admittedly both Bordeaux blend novices though; we're hoping to use this trip to expand our palettes and really discover and appreciate the area and its wines. We want to spend a day on the Left Bank (mostly for the experience of visiting First Growth vineyards and their amazing chateaus) and we'd like to visit some specific vineyards in Pomerol as well: right now it's looking like our list is La Fleur Petrus, La Conseillante, L'Evangile, and Vieux Chateau Certan (any others recommended?).

St. Emilion is an area that intrigues us but we have zero experience with the Chateaus and wines in that area. I was hoping to get recommendations for places that we should visit in 1 or 2 days there to really experience what St. Emilion has to offer, both in wines and for its beauty, and what specific vintages to keep an eye out for (I hear 2009, 2010 and for some 2014 were superior years for St. Emilion?). Currently the only place that's a must-do for us is Troplong Mondot.

Since we'll be on our honeymoon, if you have any recommendations for nice, romantic places to stay and to dine in the area that would be much appreciated as well. The picture of the hotel balcony view that Nemanick posted in this post is exactly the type of place we're looking for (where that is??).

Thanks for the help! We are really looking forward to our trip (oh, and our wedding too!)

Cheers!
Alvaro

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Re: Honeymoon in Bordeaux - Questions

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:36 am

Hi Alvaro

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Thanks again for letting me know there was a problem with your logging into the forums. But as you can see, we are now up and running.

The first thing you need to do is read this page in The Wine Cellar Insider. It will tell you everything you want to know and more about visiting Bordeaux. http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/win ... -tastings/ The article even tells you how to get from San Sebastian to Bordeaux, which as you noticed, is only a few hours away.

The hotel with the view you were asking about is Hostellerie de Plaisance, located in St. Emilion. It's the number one hotel in the vineyards. It's pricey, but worth it.

Please read the article and then ask me any questions and we'll get you set.

Alvaro Arnal
New Member 50 Pts

Re: Honeymoon in Bordeaux - Questions

Post by Alvaro Arnal » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks Jeff! I'm going to read through the article you linked in the next couple of days with the fiancee and will write back here with additional questions. At first glance the article looks very informative!