Going to Napa, what wineries are fun to visit?

A fun, easy going place to talk about any wine and food related topic or issue. This is a real names board. You will need to register with your real first and last name before being able to post.
John W
Active Member 75 Pts

Going to Napa, what wineries are fun to visit?

Post by John W » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 pm

So far on my list is
- Keenan
- Mumm
- Pride
- Duckhorn
- Joseph Phelps
- Montelena
- Robert Mondavi

What other places are fun? I'm not necessarily looking for the best tasting wines, just a place which will be memorable.

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Re: Going to Napa, what wineries are fun to visit?

Post by Howard Cooper » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:35 am

Mayacamas
Stony Hill
Ridge (go to their Lytton Springs winery)
Littorai (in western Sonoma County)

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:03 am

Howard.. Have you been to Mayacamas? It's on my list to go.

John... All the names on your list are great. But at least for me, the most important part of any visit to a wine region is to focus on producers that make the wine you like and enjoy. That connection will assuredly provide you with the best experience. What are your favorite Napa wineries?

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Howard Cooper » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 am

Jeff Leve wrote:Howard.. Have you been to Mayacamas? It's on my list to go.

John... All the names on your list are great. But at least for me, the most important part of any visit to a wine region is to focus on producers that make the wine you like and enjoy. That connection will assuredly provide you with the best experience. What are your favorite Napa wineries?
Jeff, yes, I was at Mayacamas a couple of years ago. Way up on the top of a mountain. Neat place. Really old vines. Old fashioned. By far, no palace. Loved it.

John W
Active Member 75 Pts

Post by John W » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:Howard.. Have you been to Mayacamas? It's on my list to go.

I like Togni, but seems like they only allow visists from members, of which I am not.

Do any places allow barrel tastings?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:38 am

John... I think almost winery in Napa allows barrel tastings. Some tasting rooms will charge a fee, others do not charge. Opus One is another beautiful winery with one of the most beautiful barrel cellars I've ever been to.

Howard Cooper
Serious Poster 90 Pts

Post by Howard Cooper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:John... I think almost winery in Napa allows barrel tastings. Some tasting rooms will charge a fee, others do not charge. Opus One is another beautiful winery with one of the most beautiful barrel cellars I've ever been to.
Interesting. While I taste barrel samples all the time in Burgundy, I cannot remember having a barrel sample (as opposed to finished wine) in Napa in a very long time if ever. Where have you tasted barrel samples?

Jeff Leve
Needs a Life 99 Pts

Post by Jeff Leve » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:16 am

Howard... I do not get to Napa often. However, I am going next week for a few days. Although because it's harvest time, I doubt I'll taste many samples on this trip. If fact, I'm going to taste as many wines on this trip as I'd like for that same reason. It probably depends on where you go. And because of my website, I might have the access to barrel samples that others don't.